Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on night feedings and changings

Default Tips on night feedings and changings

How do you involve your hubbies in the night feedings and changes?

In my case my husband wil have to go back to work after 2 weeks then I'll be home on my home with the baby for 3 months during the week. I'd probably feel bad waking him up, but I know I'm going to need my sleep too!

We will be getting an arm's reach sleeper, so I'm all for nursing the baby in bed, if I can do it, but for the changings one of us will have to get up. My bedroom is small, but I'm thinking I might be able to keep diapers handy and change the baby while he/she is in the co-sleeper.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Tips on night feedings and changings

Congrats on your lo on the way! My baby is 7 weeks and my hubby and I have a system pretty well worked out where he gets her up when she starts fussing and changes her, then passes her along to me and I feed her and put her back in her cradle at the foot of our bed. If she has a hard time getting back to sleep we kind of trade off walking with her or rocking her depending on who's got to get up earlier or who's feeling more generous . Don't worry, you'll work out whatever's best for you. Don't feel bad waking him up, even if he has to go to work the next day. I did at first but quickly realized I was spending much more time awake than he was (with all the feedings) and didn't get nearly as many naps during the day as I thought I would. Besides, now he can change diapers in his sleep and doesn't even need to wake up!

I did/do all the night time parent stuff. My hubby doesn't do diapars. His idea of changing a poopy one was putting them in the bath tub.
    He doesn't do well with poop or throw up.
    He does cook a great dinner, and loves to go food shopping.
    WE talked about it way before we had kids and we came to an agreement that all the diapar stuff would fall on me.
    talk to your hubby. See what he says....
    I changed my last two in the co-sleeper, once they start going longer between poops they don't need changed at night unless they poop, thats rare or they are soaking wet. Maybe 6-8 weeks old...

If your DH is willing to do diaper changes, let him change the baby while you nurse lying down. DH and I mastered this and it works great because our baby wouldn't wake up the way she would if it was just a diaper change

That's what worked for ME anyway.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Since the very beginning, my DH has handled all middle of the night diapers, and then gives her to me to nurse. These were frequent in the beginning, but now we are down to one per night. Don't feel bad about him getting up...his diaper duty will be over in a matter of minutes and he can go right back to sleep, whereas you will be up for a bit, nursing. True, he may be going to work in the morning, but it's not like you'll be sleeping all day with that baby around...you'll be working, too! Plus, I just think that no DH should enjoy a solid night's sleep if we can't...hey, it's all a part of fatherhood, right?

Those first few weeks...we were all up in the night! No way around it...I needed the light on, help etc. Now, I deal with LO in the night...but we don't change him in the middle of the night anymore ...he sleeps between us, so we all sleep and when LO needs to eat, he just kinda snuggles in and I kinda sleep feed him and we all go back to sleep. It works good! You are the most on-top-of-things mama ever!! You'll do great!!

I just want to add...its kind of hard to imagine how it will all work when your LO is still in the belly...and you are just waiting and wondering, but somehow it all works out and you find what works for you...like when I was prego, I told DH YOU WILL BE CHANGING ALL THE DIAPERS IN THE NIGHT!! But then it just seemed silly when I already had to be up to nurse anyway (I figured he needed his sleep and I could nap with LO during the day....or we could sleep in). So, needless to say, it will work out and you may plan on one thing, but then something different just works better for you....kwim?
    Last edited by wyattsmama; November 29th, 2006 at 03:47 PM.

Hi!! In our house we found that when DD starts fussing in the middle of the night he gets up changes her then hands her off to momma to eat or be cuddled! this way he feels involved but still gets the sleep he needs to go to work! ( and frankly if I dont have to get out of bed at night im all for it! )
    Good Luck with finding what works for you!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    If your DH is willing to do diaper changes, let him change the baby while you nurse lying down. DH and I mastered this and it works great because our baby wouldn't wake up the way she would if it was just a diaper change

That's what worked for ME anyway.

Jen
    Wow that is awesome - i may have to try this!

My DH has changed 4 diapers total and my LO is going to be 7 weeks old tomorrow. (Yes, I have kept count).

I also feel bad waking him at night when he works so hard all day for us, so I just keep everything on my nightstand in a small plastic bin. Diapers, wipes and a changing pad. I just reach over and get the things I need, change her and feed her. I figure if I am awake to feed her, then I should be the one to change her too. Dh will take the diaper from me and roll over to throw it away (the garbage pail is next to his side of the bed). Works for us.

Good luck!

You have to go with what works for you i know my hubby works late and comes home and goes to bed i have to get up with dd anyways so i change her diaper funny thing is is she is gonna be 6 months and he hasn't changed a diaper yet lol he comes home when kids are in bed and normally is gone when they get up and i know i cant function on a few hours of sleep at home so i let him sleep so that he can go to work. It is what works for us i am up anyways no sense in us both being up and not getting enough sleep.

Hope you finds what works for you i changed the baby right on my bed with me and then nursed her and put her in her bed so i never left the room when she was little little. Just made sure i had everything in the room with me so all i had to do was roll over and sit up then lay back down and go to sleep