Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night time nursing more frequent

Default Night time nursing more frequent

My son has been sleeping from 9pm to 4am and then continued with 2 hour intervals. Now he is 4 months, and he seems to want to nurse more frequently. I dont get the 7 hour stretch anymore. He is usually down by 8-8.30 and then is up around 12, then 2 and keeps walking up every 2 hours. I am wondering if my supply has gotten lower...

Default Re: Night time nursing more frequent

If you're nursing on demand, it's not your milk supply. It's something people call the 4 month sleep regression- which is a silly term because the baby isn't regressing in the sense of losing developmental achievements. I think a better term would be the 4 month sleep alteration or something like that, because it embraces the fact that increased night-waking at 4 months is normal, and not a loss of anything aside from mom's chances of getting a long uninterrupted stretch of sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, I think it's actually more unusual for a baby to sleep 7 hours!

Thanks for your reply. I feel better now. I dont mind waking up as long as he is getting what he needs

That's a great attitude and one that will keep your supply right where it needs to be! A lot of us hear messages from friends, family, the doctor or whoever else that baby "should" be sleeping through the night by such-and-such age. Baby sleeping through the night can actually be quite detrimental to maintaining supply and it's perfectly normal for baby to want to nurse several times at night. Not to mention that if you were a helpless baby and you woke up by yourself in the dark in the night, wouldn't you want the reassurance of knowing your number one caregiver is nearby and ready to care for you? Which is probably why nursing is such a great way of getting baby back to sleep: baby is warm, full, and close to mom - what else can he possibly need?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    That's a great attitude and one that will keep your supply right where it needs to be! A lot of us hear messages from friends, family, the doctor or whoever else that baby "should" be sleeping through the night by such-and-such age. Baby sleeping through the night can actually be quite detrimental to maintaining supply and it's perfectly normal for baby to want to nurse several times at night. Not to mention that if you were a helpless baby and you woke up by yourself in the dark in the night, wouldn't you want the reassurance of knowing your number one caregiver is nearby and ready to care for you? Which is probably why nursing is such a great way of getting baby back to sleep: baby is warm, full, and close to mom - what else can he possibly need?
    Thats exactly what happen. I kept hearing that baby should start sleeping for longer stretches at 4 month and my son started walking up more often instead. I love nursing and the closeness it give us.

I always say to myself that I'd much rather wake up 3 times a night to nurse than to have to pump by day so eventually when I start cutting down on the nursing, I will definitely take away from the pumping and feed at night so we could nurse more when together.

Btw, my baby also used to sleep longer stretches in the beginning of the night, but he stopped that at three months. At four months he had this really annoying habit of waking up in the middle of the night but NOT going back to sleep right away! After like 2-3 weeks he went back to normal sleeping though he still woke up every 3 or so hours.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.