Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increasing supply for supplementing?

Default increasing supply for supplementing?

hi everyone!

my little one is successfully breastfeeding at 9 months old, and my supply is regulated, great, and i make just enough milk for her needs. right now she does alot of comfort eating and sucking, and it's ok because i stay home and can allow her to do so. at 9 months, she prefers breastmilk to solids, and will only eat about 3 ounces of solids per day, broken up into about 2 meals. she rejects anything else...but still breastfeeds well. she also doesnt cope well away from me, she cries incessantly and is a difficult to console baby without me close by.

i am looking to increase my supply, just for an emergency stash if i am away. last week, i had a brief hospital appointment that took 5 hours, and she was forced to drink expressed milk from a bottle. while she didnt prefer it of course, she in fact did have her meal from the bottle, and she finished it all. she also didnt cry nearly as much as she normally does--the breastmilk in the bottle did console her for the time i was away.

i will have quite a few of these appointments coming up, including an overnight test and a 2 day post surgery stay either in july or august of this year (i am having weight loss surgery). i am also planning a day or two of relaxation and she will need a sitter--so i will not be able to feed her directly. so of course she needs to eat, and have her breastmilk.

i am not sure the best way to go about increasing supply for a freezer stash, and a small refrigerated supply for same day needs. also, i am trying to figure out exactly how much i can give her from a bottle daily without affecting my supply, if possible. this would be just to have a bit of time away from her to go on dates, etc.

any advice, help, suggestions are appreciated!
    5th time's a charm! breastfeeding exclusively!

Default Re: increasing supply for supplementing?

I think it you're normally exclusively breastfeeding on demand, missing an occasional nursing session if you go out on a date and giving a bottle instead is not going to cause a big hit to your supply - that is, if you're gone for a few hours and baby has a bottle during that time, it's fine to simply come home and nurse without having to pump. Of course, since you are trying to build up some milk in the freezer for when you have surgery, that probably WOULD be a good time to pump, because you should have milk that baby otherwise would have drank. Otherwise, usually there is more milk in the morning, so you can get more bang for your buck trying to pump at that time, but really you can pump any time it is convenient. An ounce here and an ounce there adds up! At 9 months your supply should be well-regulated so I wouldn't expect to get too much when you are pumping in addition to nursing, but if you are systematic about pumping (for example, pumping daily), your supply should increase to the level where you consistently do get extra milk when pumping.

I'm a little unclear - are you actually having the surgery in July or August? You may want to find out in advance whether you will be on medications that will prevent you from either nursing or pumping and giving baby your expressed milk. If you are in the U.S. (or don't mind an international call) you can call Infant Risk for advice: www.InfantRisk.com. Often mothers are told they need to pump and dump for longer than is actually necessary. I mean you will have to pump anyway for comfort so it would be nice if you can use that milk to feed baby (or nurse her directly if it is comfortable to do so), so that you don't have to build up a big stash. The other option, if you are interested in it, would be to wait until baby turns one to have the surgery, and then you have the option of animal's milk (cow's, goat's) as a backup (if baby does not have a dairy sensitivity, and is willing to drink the cow's milk - some babies are picky about that!)

thanks for the response bfwmom! yes i am having surgery in either july or august (the date is pending calendar room). i will only be on heavy meds for 48 hours after surgery, and my doctors have all agreed that when the meds wear off, they will have cleared my system and when i go home, i certainly can resume my regular breastfeeding schedule. i will bring my pump with me to the hospital to pump and dump if i have to. i will also have my baby visiting with me from morning til visits are over the day after surgery, and my husband will bring her to me on the day i am to go home. my surgeon has no problem with this. she will be one in august, and actually she already loves cows milk in VERY tiny amounts (a few drops here and there) so i definitely will be supplementing her diet with it by the age of one, although i will BF until she self weans.

for now, i will pump in the mornings when i wake up and try to get my supply up that way! i was considering a supplement just to help me (fenugreek does work for me) but i know some babies react badly to it in moms system...so i will only try that if nothing else works. yes the ounces certainly do add up. my little one is a big girl and gulps down the milk as fast as she can though, so i definitely want to make sure i have a GOOD stash at home for when i am away, at least until she decides she likes solids more than mommys milk!

thank you so much for your advice, i am going to get on that morning schedule asap!
    5th time's a charm! breastfeeding exclusively!

Sounds like you have a good plan in place!

Since you'll be on "heavy" medications for 48 hours, you might want to make a plan to have someone help you pump, if necessary. Especially if it takes you longer to come out of the anesthesia than expected- you don't want to add discomfort from engorgement to discomfort from surgery.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"