Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

Default Re: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qcm View Post
    Hello tclynx, I'm sorry your LO is even refusing bottles, that is indeed stressful. After all the end of the day all of us mommies want a well fed and healthy baby.
    So When my LO is acting fussy, I bundle him up and take him outside the house for a short time, always gets him to calm down. I am up in Seattle and I think the cool breeze outside soothes him. Would something like that help with your LO??

After pumping for the first half of today I put my LO back to the breast. I can tell he loves to nurse and will cry until I put him on. My right side is faring a little better after the break so I will try to ebf for the rest of the day.
    Putting him in the carrier and wearing him often will get him to sleep after some initial fussing but it is so HOT here (I'm in central Florida) by mid morning that going outside is only really reasonable early morning. Music and bouncing on the yoga ball can often work. He tends to fight sleep like it's killing him unless he happens to be nursing already as the urge to sleep comes on but overall he is normally really good, just dealing with a bit of extra fussy because I have to do the post Frenotomy stretches 6 times a day

I had three blisters on my right nipple and one popped last night. Since then the pain has gone down significantly. I am so hopeful of being able to ebf without pain

I had three blisters on my right nipple and one popped last night. Since then the pain has gone down significantly. I am so hopeful of being able to ebf without pain
    I had to take a 2day break to heal. The blisters got worse because I am quite engorged most of the time. It is ironic how I longed for this full feeling while building my supply and how much of a pain it is to breastfeed when full!!!

I have dropped two pump sessions - 6am and 9pm - and so far so good with the supply. To help baby latch on easier on my painful right side, I pump a little to soften the breast and then push my breast into his mouth as much as I can. I really hope to not have any recurrence of the darned blisters.

In the meantime I am collecting at least 4oz extra everyday to freeze. Really really hopeful to be done with the pump soon!!!!

I had to take a 2day break to heal. The blisters got worse because I am quite engorged most of the time. It is ironic how I longed for this full feeling while building my supply and how much of a pain it is to breastfeed when full!!!

I have dropped two pump sessions - 6am and 9pm - and so far so good with the supply. To help baby latch on easier on my painful right side, I pump a little to soften the breast and then push my breast into his mouth as much as I can. I really hope to not have any recurrence of the darned blisters.

In the meantime I am collecting at least 4oz extra everyday to freeze. Really really hopeful to be done with the pump soon!!!!
    4 oz extra that you are not having to feed back to baby as supplement AND you are feeling engorged too much. Yea you have pumped yourself into an oversupply. I would say start only pumping enough for a little comfort now or to soften up enough before nursing to latch. Excessive pumping After nursing now will only increase your over supply problem. But convenient to help you build up a freezer stash right now.

The nipple pain on my right side has all but gone. I had called my LC and she told me the blisters are classic signs of a shallow latch. Her suggestion was to squeeze the nipple as much as possible and shove it in. I have been very careful with his latch and I am pretty much pain free.
    I also dropped my 9am pumping session today. Feeling hopeful

You're doing it! Keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    You're doing it! Keep going!
    Unfortunately the latching on my right side just isn't working out and the blisters are back
    They are so very painful that I simply cannot nurse on my right side. It has just been one problem after another since day 1 for us.
    I have tried everything I can from my side to fix his latch and I am now at my last option which is to shell out the money to see an LC.
    I have the appointment tomorrow morning which is our last hope to fix the latch. Wish me luck

Good Luck.
    Sometimes you just need a little help.
    I'm still having a lot of pain on my right side and I need to be able to nurse him on my Rt since that is where most of the milk is coming from.

So I went in to see the LC yesterday and of course I was latching him on all wrong. I have been nursing since yesterday and hallelujah there is no nipple pain. The LC also said that I have a bleb aka milk blister which coupled with the improper latch was causing me all that toe-curling pain. I am using a cotton ball soaked in olive oil to soften the bleb.
    However, LO took in only 3oz at the session so the LC advised me not to stop pumping just yet. She said I could try dropping a couple of pumps and see if it affects my supply but she was not comfortable with stopping all pumps.
    I asked her if instead of nurse+pump and then give LO the expressed milk in a bottle, how about I just nurse every hour instead. But she dismissed that idea quickly saying it was not feasible and I would be exhausted. I would rather take frequent nursing over sitting and pumping especially because I go back to work in a month when I am going to be pumping in the day. I really want some ebf time where I don't pump at all!
    Any ideas where to go from here? Is it too risky to drop pumps?

I am so glad you are achieving a pain-free latch again. That is so great!

I am a little perplexed as to why she's not comfortable with your LO taking 3 oz in a nursing session. How many times per day are you nursing? After she nurses does she seem to want that bottle (I know it's hard to tell). What is the volume that you're giving in the bottle and are you doing it after each nursing session? I think we've already established that you are making ample milk, so it seems to me that your LC is concerned about milk transfer more than elevating your supply. But transferring 3 oz per session, if she's nursing 8-10 times in a 24 hour period, should be about what she needs! The info in this link is directed at pumping moms feeding expressed milk, but it is relevant here I think: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

I would also add that nursing more frequently might be exhausting, but does your LC realize how exhausting nursing, then pumping, then supplementing is? You're feeding the baby twice!

Please keep in mind I am no professional, and I hope that other experienced moms will weigh in, but based on my experience working with a very expert IBCLC, I question the advice of your LC to keep you chained to the pump. Slowly dropping pumping sessions is perhaps not a bad idea (although I was advised to do it cold turkey and with great success). BUT the immediate goal is to get you exclusively breast feeding without pumping, and in the absence of either a supply problem or a transfer problem (which I see no evidence of based on your posts), I don't see what the hesitation is on her part. You can always keep a very close eye on baby's eight gain to reassure yourself that all is going well, and revert back to pumping and supplementing with pumped milk at the first sign that baby is not getting enough.