Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

Default Re: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

Also, just to ramble a little more, I am confused about why your LC is suggesting you COULD drop one or two pumping sessions and then evaluate whether it affects your supply.... at last count I think you were making a few oz more per day than baby was drinking. Therefore, your supply is not the issue, if anything it would be desirable to bring it down just a little so you're making EXACTLY the amount of milk that baby needs--and that is precisely where nursing on demand will get you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    Also, just to ramble a little more, I am confused about why your LC is suggesting you COULD drop one or two pumping sessions and then evaluate whether it affects your supply.... at last count I think you were making a few oz more per day than baby was drinking. Therefore, your supply is not the issue, if anything it would be desirable to bring it down just a little so you're making EXACTLY the amount of milk that baby needs--and that is precisely where nursing on demand will get you.
    My LC's exact words were "I will never tell a mom to quit pumping especially someone like you who has worked so hard to build up supply"
    My LO will usually go 1.5 hours without fussing after a feed. I sometimes give him a bottle at times because I don't want to waste the pumped milk.
    Also baby's weight gain is good at 1oz a day since his 2 month check so he is on track there (though I wish he gained more- he was classified as SGA at birth)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qcm View Post
    My LC's exact words were "I will never tell a mom to quit pumping especially someone like you who has worked so hard to build up supply"
    I might be completely off my rocker but I read this and my heart actually started beating faster. I am upset because to me this reflects such a fundamental misunderstanding in the way breast feeding works!!! I remember you said before that your LC told you that you "only got this far because of the pump" and therefore can't stop pumping. This is also misguided and a complete flaw in logic, in my opinion!

If a mom has low supply for some reason--baby is not feeding well for any variety of reasons, baby not able to transfer milk well, illness in mom, or simply due to the use of supplements (especially early on), etc--then, yes, a pump can be really helpful for getting that supply back to where it should be. Why is the pump important? Because the first priority is ALWAYS to FEED THE BABY. And if mom has low (enough) supply, then you give baby supplements, because you have to feed the baby. However, if baby is being supplemented, then he doesn't care that you have low supply; he's satisfied and won't nurse often enough to increase your supply. And your supply will stay low. So the pump counteracts the effect of supplementation by mimicking a hungry baby, thereby stimulating milk production and bringing supply back up, even though baby is being supplemented. (You already know this, I know.)

Once the supply is to where it needs to be (and yours is), assuming any initial problem has been corrected (baby is healthy and feeding well, baby is able to transfer due to improved latch, mom is once again healthy, etc), then as long as baby is removing the milk that the baby needs, mom will keep making the milk that the baby needs. This is just the way it works.

I would NEVER give a bottle just to avoid wasting pumped milk. In order to maintain your supply at the level baby needs, you need to remove from your breasts a volume of milk equal to what baby needs to drink. (If you're exclusively breast feeding, this happens automatically of course.) If you give a bottle, then you should pump.

I encourage you to seek another opinion from a different IBCLC. I hate to tell you that your lactation consultant is wrong, as she is a professional and is someone you've seen in person and who has hand's on experience with you and your baby and probably knows more of your story than I do. But I can tell you that I was in a very similar situation as yours and my IBCLC (who is a leader in lactation consulting in my state and director of the lactation program at a top academic hospital) and who now a friend of mine would NEVER utter the words you posted above!! The ultimate goals of a LC are to (in this order) (1) feed the baby; and (2) if at all possible, breast feed, on the bare breast and exclusively!!!!

Hello all,
    I wanted to circle back with a positive update. Thanks to the encouragement from all you wonderful women on this board I am now exclusively breastfeeding my three month old. I have learnt to finally trust my body and my baby to do what is natural.
    I recently also checked babys weight gain and he has been gaining well 14lb7oz at 3.5 months.
    Thank you all so much for the guidance, I haven't looked at my pump or washed pump parts in 2weeks now!!!!!

Congratulations! You worked very hard to get here and now you get to reap the reward of relaxed on demand breast feeding without bothering with bottles or pumping. It is so much easier isn't it?? I also had a tough mental block to overcome of learning to trust my body and my baby to regulate my milk supply. Even after I stopped pumping and started breast feeding exclusively I was quite insecure about it and took my baby to be weighed weekly for quite a while. Only after several weeks of good weigh ins did it start to sink in that we were actually succeeding. So you are not alone in any of this. There might be times that he seems a bit extra hungry, and that is normal, he will have growth spurts and times when he needs extra closeness with you and if you nurse on demand your supply will respond. I am so happy for you! Enjoy!!

Awesome!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"