Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

Default Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

I have a long story which started with the hospital forcing me to give my baby formula which caused my milk to not come in until 5 days pp. I feel really guilty that I did not arm myself with the information or education to breastfeeding and trusted the doctors. Anyways I had low milk supply even after my milk came in so the LC I was working with put me on a plan to nurse and then pump. I started pumping really aggressively and was also EPF for about a week and I managed to get my supply up from 13oz per day to 30 oz per day woo! So now I am nursing baby at every feed and followed by pumping. I then give him the pumped milk after the next nursing session. I'm pumping 2-3 hourly in the day and 3-4 hourly in the night. I am dying to break up with the pump and just ebf but I simply don't have the confidence. I have worked through low milk supply, latch issues, and also weaned my baby off the stupid nipple shield and all these have been successes I have celebrated. I just don't want to regress my supply by quitting the pump after every feed. How do I do this? Oh and my sweet baby boy is 10 weeks old!!
    Thanks for your advice and sorry if my question is stupid!

Default Re: Break up with the pump!! I want to ebf

I started off in a similar situation at the hospital, where the LC there actually recommended I exclusively pump. Terrible, I know! So I started that for a few days. But then it was killing me, because my supply could not keep up, so I called the same LC. Finally, she was helpful -- she told me to just nurse every time I could. She said even if it felt like overkill, any time the baby fussed and cried to nurse her. Now, my LO was only about 2 or 3 weeks old at this point. But it seems like you've worked hard and your supply should be okay if you were nursing a lot during the day and night. I could be wrong, and some of the more expert folks on here might have less anecdotal advice. I would think you could also cut your pumping down gradually if that makes you feel better, sticking with doing it after a couple feeds a day for a little while if that makes you feel better.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Are you still feeding your LO the expressed breast milk each time you pump?
    How often are you breast feeding? As you drop pumping session you may find you need to nurse more often as you and baby re-align.
    If baby is gaining well you might drop topping up with the expressed milk (store/freeze that as future stash) and keep an eye on weight gain and see how things go as you progressively over a few weeks time drop pumping sessions gradually. (If you suddenly stop pumping cold turkey you will likely experience engorgement/oversupply issues.) Of course paying attention to baby and yourself as you wean off the constant pumping. Go gradually and see what works out best for you (maybe you will find that you still need to have a pumping session in the morning so that you have some expressed milk to top up with in the evening when supply is normally lowest.)

I offer baby the expressed milk if he seems hungry after nursing. Most of the times baby is good after a nursing session but not always. I am breastfeeding every two hours during the day and every three-four hours at night. Each nursing session lasts 40 minutes (20 minutes each side) It is really exhausting to go pump after that
    Is 40 minutes normal or too long. My mom says I am making my baby over tired by keeping him on the breast that long.
    I managed to get my supply up to a normal level thanks to the constant pumping so you can imagine my fears of all that hard work going by the wayside if my supply drops again. My LC told me that I am here only thanks to the pump and baby will not be able to do the same
    I really never thought breastfeeding would be so draining and I dream of giving up..but mommy guilt will never let me quit.

Thanks to nurse+pump at every feed means I cannot leave the house for anything. My life has reduced to either having baby on or a pump attached to my breast all the time. I haven't stepped outside my home for longer than 30 minutes because of this. It is so frustrating and I really envy moms who are able to simply breastfeed. At the end of the rope with this whole breastfeeding process

I have an 8 wk old and I also had some major breastfeeding/supply/milk transfer issues.
    My thread is now a 13 page saga
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...te-milk-supply
    And we are still not perfect. Just got his tongue/lip tie corrected a couple days ago.

If you are pumping more that the baby is eating and baby is able to effectively transfer milk from the breast, then you have enough milk.

The constant power pumping is for increasing supply and if doing that all the time is exhausting you and stressing you out then you reach a point of deminishing returns. I don't think such things are sustainable long term, most people are telling me I'm amazing for persisting as long as I have and mine is only 8 weeks old so you are two weeks beyond me.

Now I've always found my baby to be better at extracting milk than even the hospital pump. I don't respond well to the pump and if I were to judge my supply on the pump output then there is no way my baby could have gained weight when I was only supplementing a fraction of his diet. I set the alarm to nurse every 2 hours by day (maybe a 3 hr stretch for a nap but usually latched on for part of that anyway) and 3-4 hrs at night but I will feed on demand sooner which often means only 1 or 1.5 hr (and with DS that literally sometimes means only a few minutes between getting done and starting again or we might as well call it continuous nursing for hours.) I have to wear him in order to get food for myself some days. Hopefully this improves now that tongue/lip tie are fixed.

My LC said if it is a choice between nursing extra and pumping, Nurse since baby will be more effective at stimulating milk supply.

Remember, you can always add pumping sessions back in later if you feel that your supply is lagging. You built your supply up once, you can do it again.

Every word you wrote in your initial post, I could have written myself two years ago. I worked closely with an amazing IBCLC during the first 4 weeks of my baby's life and she held my hand through pumping after each feed for a few weeks to get my supply up. The day came when I was pumping enough milk to provide all of my baby's supplements. Meaning, at first I was supplementing with formula due to low supply and then, thanks to pumping so much after feeding, I got my supply up to where every supplement was breast milk that I had pumped. When I got to that point, she had me stop pumping cold turkey. We just nursed and nursed some more. It worked FINE!!! My baby was able to get all the milk she needed directly from the breast from that point forward and it was glorious. Amazing I tell you.

You are way past the point I was!! It sounds like you're pumping far MORE than enough to provide his supplements if you're pumping 30 oz per day and he isn't even taking a bottle after every nursing session. You do not need to make more milk than your baby needs, you need to make exactly the right amount your baby needs, and if you exclusively feed from the breast, then your baby will regulate your supply and you will do exactly that. Therefore, you do NOT need to pump to keep your supply up. Your baby is able to nurse effectively and you're making enough milk. Those are the two elements that need to be in place and you have them. If you are concerned, then find a way to closely monitor his weight (my local hospital has a baby scale anyone can use any time and they are available for rent) and make sure he's growing appropriately, because in the end, that is what counts. I do recommend what the previous poster, tclynx, said about dropping pumping sessions gradually in your case. I didn't need to because I was making just enough milk for my baby, but you're making extra right now, so you may need to pump to avoid engorgement. Maybe drop one pumping session per day?

You climbed a HUGE mountain! You DID it! You're done!! Give yourself a pat on the back and put away that pump!! And just enjoy nursing on demand. You deserve it.

PS 40 minutes is not too long to nurse in one session. Baby will fall asleep if he wants to. They generally have no problem with that

Only reason I think I was unable to simply drop pumping and nurse once I had been able to pump as much as DS was being supplemented was tongue/lip tie impeding good milk transfer. Now that that is corrected for me, hopefully we will be able to get off the pump in the next week or two. If your baby isn't requiring supplementing to maintain or gain weight because of some milk transfer problem, then if you are pumping more than baby needs definitely get off the darn pump.

Sounds like you are making enough milk for your baby and might now have an oversupply if you are pumping and baby is not always needing that milk. First thing I would recommend is to immediately drop the night pumping and night bottle feeding. Everything baby gets at night now comes from the breasts. Give your body 3-4 days to adjust. Then cut out all bottles during the day. Just nurse more often during this transition. If you feel like you need to pump because you are engorged, only pump a little bit to relieve pressure. Hopefully in a week you will be free from the pump. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    Every word you wrote in your initial post, I could have written myself two years ago. I worked closely with an amazing IBCLC during the first 4 weeks of my baby's life and she held my hand through pumping after each feed for a few weeks to get my supply up. The day came when I was pumping enough milk to provide all of my baby's supplements. Meaning, at first I was supplementing with formula due to low supply and then, thanks to pumping so much after feeding, I got my supply up to where every supplement was breast milk that I had pumped. When I got to that point, she had me stop pumping cold turkey. We just nursed and nursed some more. It worked FINE!!! My baby was able to get all the milk she needed directly from the breast from that point forward and it was glorious. Amazing I tell you.

You are way past the point I was!! It sounds like you're pumping far MORE than enough to provide his supplements if you're pumping 30 oz per day and he isn't even taking a bottle after every nursing session. You do not need to make more milk than your baby needs, you need to make exactly the right amount your baby needs, and if you exclusively feed from the breast, then your baby will regulate your supply and you will do exactly that. Therefore, you do NOT need to pump to keep your supply up. Your baby is able to nurse effectively and you're making enough milk. Those are the two elements that need to be in place and you have them. If you are concerned, then find a way to closely monitor his weight (my local hospital has a baby scale anyone can use any time and they are available for rent) and make sure he's growing appropriately, because in the end, that is what counts. I do recommend what the previous poster, tclynx, said about dropping pumping sessions gradually in your case. I didn't need to because I was making just enough milk for my baby, but you're making extra right now, so you may need to pump to avoid engorgement. Maybe drop one pumping session per day?

You climbed a HUGE mountain! You DID it! You're done!! Give yourself a pat on the back and put away that pump!! And just enjoy nursing on demand. You deserve it.

PS 40 minutes is not too long to nurse in one session. Baby will fall asleep if he wants to. They generally have no problem with that
    When I was EPing for a couple of weeks I was giving him a 4oz every feed. I did a pre and post feed measurement last week and he only got 3oz from me after nursing for 40 minutes
    That's why I feel like if. I keep pumping I can give him the extra 1oz in a bottle but I don't know if I am approaching this the right way