Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle troubles! Returning to work

Default Bottle troubles! Returning to work

Hello,
    My 4 month old is EBF, and I have been trying to give him a bottle for a month now in preparing to return to work. Are there any techniques I can try that you can suggest? I would hate to leave him with my mom and have him starve because he won't take a bottle. If he didn't end up taking the bottle by the time I had to go to work would he eventually give in to the bottle. If you can help that would be great as it has been a very stressful thing for the both of us.

Default Re: Bottle troubles! Returning to work

Who has been giving the bottles? Breastfed babies rarely want to take bottles from mom, because they know she has the real thing! It's often best if mom is entirely out of the house when the bottle is offered. Trying different bottles, different nipples, and different milk temperatures can also help. And it's important to taste-test the milk, and make sure it hasn't gone off during storage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have tried all those things and still a no go. I talked go my lactation consultant today and she said that since now he is almost 5 months, he won't ever take a bottle now. Is that really true? She said to introduce a cup while I'm gone, but I hate to do that multiple feedings in a row. I just can't believe that he will now never take a bottle.

We had trouble with my second daughter and tried different bottles. I basically returned to work with her not really taking much from a bottle. The first day was rough on daddy and she only took 9oz in 14 hours of separation. But the second day she had no problem with grandma and has been fine ever since. I think she had learned that if she fought long enough mommy would come in to save the day, but got a reality check when I returned to work. The point is that sometimes you might just have to take the dive and be prepared for a couple of rough days until she figures out the bottle or learns a sippy cup. What bottles have you tried? We ended up having success with the Lansinoh mOmma bottles. Good luck.

We have tried playtex dropins, avent, and the Joovy boob. I'm going to just have to keep at it, thanks for sharing your experience.

My lo never really took to the bottle, we just went straight to sippy cups and never looked back, but he was seven months when I went back to work
    Ryder James 1/21/13

and she said that since now he is almost 5 months, he won't ever take a bottle now. Is that really true?
    No. There is no proven window of opportunity for introducing bottles that closes at some specific time. this was actually studied and that was the conclusion.

Some kids do not ever really take to bottles, but not because they were not introduced 'in time." Others refuse right up until mom goes back to work, maybe even for a couple days after, and then, when push comes to shove, baby and caregiver figure it out. If not, or in the meantime, your baby will make up for lost time when you are home. In other words, your baby will not starve. But I understand you do not want the stress of this hanging over your head when you return to work.

I think a sippy cup is a good option. (or an open cup.) A feeding is a feeding. Nursing at the breast is of course beneficial and important for several reasons. but for when you are not there, there is nothing 'better' about a bottle as opposed to a cup except they can be given very quickly without much mess, and that (the quick part) is not healthy anyway. Assuming baby is willing, your baby's caregiver can learn how to give baby milk in a cup or sippy.

But if you do not want to give up on bottles here is what I suggest, since you have tried the usual ideas: I would suggest giving baby an empty bottle to play with/chew/suck on when baby is NOT hungry. When/if baby starts chewing/sucking on the nipple somewhat consistently, try putting a very small amount of breastmilk (a quarter ounce - half ounce, no more) in there, again, when baby is NOT hungry. If baby drinks that milk or some of it a few times somewhat consistently, try putting in a little milk when baby is a LITTLE hungry, and so on. In other words, take it very slow and take the pressure off and make it a game, similarly to how taking the pressure off can help with a baby who is refusing to nurse.

Use paced bottle feeding techniques as well whenever giving baby milk in a bottle. https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 10th, 2014 at 10:54 PM.