Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling let down at 8 mo

Default Feeling let down at 8 mo

Hello,
    So the last two weeks have been interesting. I've had a pretty bad bite, had to go on rest on the left side per LC and only pump, been engorged/plugged twice and cleared a milk bleb. I feel I'm finally back to normal and pain free nursing thank goodness and was able to avoid mastitis. However, I'm having major tingling on both sides in between feedings, in particular on the 'bad' side that went through all the drama. It's a let down type feeling but almost borderline painful, a little different than a full let down feeling I felt when he was much younger. Could this be due to milk flowing better now that things are not plugged anymore? I also corrected a bad latch and may have been nursing for a few weeks post several teeth coming in with too shallow of a latch. (This is what I think caused a lot of my problems in the first place. That and the bite). Is it common for this tingling to happen at almost 9 mo old? Should I expect it will stick around for a while? Sometimes he only nurses on one side during the day but overall I'm not skipping any feedings (nursing 5x per day plus some solids twice a day). If anything he's nursing more esp at night due to the teething. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Feeling let down at 8 mo

Is the sensation short in duration even if intense while it lasts? That would sound like letdown to me.
    personally I still feel occasional letdown and my nursing child is close to two! I definitely would feel this at 9 months, and it was always much more noticeable/painful if it happened between nursing sessions.
    What if you nursed a little more often? When I felt this, I took it as a sign it was time to nurse! 5 times a day is not so very often for an 8 month old to be nursing. It sounds like your baby is eating about 7 times a day. That is not all that often. I figured out recently that my 10 year old son usually eats 6 times a day.

has the biting calmed down? my baby bit me good around the same age ugh.

So I ended up at the Dr. Nursing was ebbing and flowing from being tolerable to downright painful. I do feel the let down but now I know there was more to it. Dr. thinks there is an infection near the nipple. Not yeast and not full blown mastitis but it didn't go away after about 4 weeks despite my best efforts so we are treating with Keflex. I hate this but its better than having to stop nursing all together. I started the medicine yesterday and its still quite painful to nurse but I'm really hoping things calm down and I go back to being 100% pain free. Deliberate deep breathing and mantras during nursing is not ideal! So yes to answer your question biting has stopped. The latch is much better and I am able to see when he's almost finished to avoid a bite near the end of the session. I have in fact been nursing more esp at night and likely due to teething, growing or all of the above. Maybe that will help clear things up even though it hurts. I'm pretty discouraged and do not like to dread nursing from pain so send happy thoughts that things will resolve as a nice mothers day gift!

Ouch. Don't feel bad, if you have an infection or suspected infection that is not clearing up, abs are certainly indicated. I hope it helps fast!

For what it's worth, here is a story : I had an issue about a month ago where I had really bad nipple pain on one side when my daughter nursed. I was too busy to deal with it and let it ride, but it was getting quite bad. then one day I suddenly came down with the classic mastitis signs (my third time so I am very familiar with the symptoms) and called my doctor immediately and (after she examined me) got put on antibiotics. The abs cleared up the fever and chills right away, But the breast pain persisted! Finally I figured out there must be a plug somewhere, even though I could not feel any plug. But my breast felt kind of heavy, as if it was never truly 'emptying." So I started doing the bag of marbles massage/manipulation, and nursing baby while baby laid on the floor and I kneeled on my hands and knees over her (she found this hilarious.) Finally I figured out the plug was so far back it was almost under my arm. Anyway, in a few days the pain began to go away and my breast softened, so the plug must have cleared.

I still do not know what came first, the plug or the painful nursing. My hunch is, her latch was off due to teething and that led to the other issues.

Hope you feel better soon!