Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 months, no real nursing limits, anyone else?

Default 18 months, no real nursing limits, anyone else?

I'm not looking to change anything at all, as my nursing relationship with my toddler truly is working out just fine for both of us. I'm just curious if anyone here is (or was) nursing an 18 month old without any nursing limits. I seem to be somewhat of an anomaly in my local circle, so I was just looking to see if anyone else shares my experience!

I suppose we have one kind of "limit," in that I work outside of the home during the week, but outside of that, I nurse completely on demand at home with her.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Default Re: 18 months, no real nursing limits, anyone else?

I nursed my 18 mo completely on demand too. I work at home. I did set limit about nursing behaviour (biting, twiddling, feet in face) but I nursed on demand, unless I was busy making supper or on the toilet, etc. I still pretty much nurse on demand now at 2.5, though I can get her to wait a lot longer now and I don' just drop everything to nurse. The night nursing has decreased a lot, and she is very reasonable about nursing afew times during the day, at both of out convenience. we also still nurse to sleep.

My nursling is going to be 2 later this month and at 18 months we were nursing on demand when I wasn't at work.

Slowly, I've started to introduce some limits since then. e.g. I am less and less excited about nursing when I pick her up from daycare, so I tell her "let's go home and nurse at home" and she more or less accepts that compromise. We've also started night weaning, and it has been wonderful. We tried once a few months ago and I just don't think she was ready to so we dropped it, but then she fell asleep without nursing a few times (with me next to her) and I knew it was worth another shot and it's been great. Last night she woke up twice, said "nurse", and I said "no nursing, time to sleep" and she immediately rolled over with no protest and fell back asleep. This has been the right progression for us, and it has definitely helped that her ability to express herself with language and understand what I'm saying has taken off in the last few months. I'm glad that I waited to introduce limits to nursing until she was able to engage in a (simple) conversation with me about it.

My son is 2.5 and we have effectively no limits. (Say we're running errands 5 mins from home and the remaining time on the trip is 15 mins, I will have him wait.)

My LO is almost 21 months, and when I'm not working we pretty much nurse without limits at home, unless I'm in the middle of making supper or working out. If we're out and about, I usually will defer till we can get to a place where we can nurse (ie a bench in the mall), or if we're not going to be out much longer, just till we get home. Her mattress is on the floor next to ours, and though DH has taken over bedtime most nights, she still nurses a couple times during the night.

Thanks for the stories! I figured I was not completely alone.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

My daughter is 22 mos, I work full time and we nurse on demand. She is a very busy girl so on weekends she will usually go several hours without. Overnight it varies. We co sleep and sometimes it feels like an all night nurse a thon and other times we are sleeping pretty well. There are occasions when she's going at it so often that I need a little relief. For example she dreamfed from 5A to 6:30A, woke up and asked for milk. Well I'm a little depleted after 90 min of snooze sucking so the phrase I use is "milk is sleeping". If she's really not hungry and isn't having major teething pain, she will generally accept this. That's my standard boundary. Boobs are tired so milk is sleeping or I offer food / smoothie, which also works sometimes.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12