Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How fatty is your milk?

Default How fatty is your milk?

This is more of a curiosity post than anything.

I suspect I have higher than typical fat in my milk for a few reasons (here's a link to standard breast milk fat content research: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/)

1. My son, who is 2.5, chooses a high proportion of his diet to be my milk and is growing very well on it despite limited intake of other foods. He nurses about 8-10x/day still, and will reliably eat one meal a day (mostly meat and fruit).

2. I have milk grease stains on my night tank tops that won't come out! (Good thing I bought cheapo cotton shirts for sleep!)

3. I've never pumped except for one occasion about a month ago where I hand expressed a few ounces of milk to alleviate fullness when DS had stomach flu and had a depressed appetite. When I refrigerated my milk and the cream separated, the milk was at least half fat by volume! Yowza!

What's your experience?

I wish I had some instruments to measure the fat content of my milk in several samples to get an estimate. I joke that I make 18% cream!

Default Re: How fatty is your milk?

I think what you are saying makes a lot of sense...your son still prefers your milk and toddlers need a lot of fat, especially active ones...so it makes sense your body is upping the fat content. Isn't it true that your body can tell what your baby needs more of and puts more of that in the milk? I thought I read that somewhere.

I would guess that mine is very high fat as well. My daughter is a very choosy eater, I would say one full meal per day spread out over the day most of the time. She is still gaining plenty of weight and is on the heavy side, in spite of eating a very small amount of solids and being very active. She can't sit still, she is always moving. Do I wish she preferred solids? Sometimes! But there is no changing her mind I guess until she's ready. Plus it seems to burn a ton of calories for me, which I know won't last forever. We're at 16 months.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: How fatty is your milk?

Thanks for the reply, karrieperry! As I understand, the body will produce higher fat milk the more fully and frequently the breast is emptied.