Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk looks oily!

Default Milk looks oily!

I pumped before and all was fine. Then, like always, I hand expressed a little more (I don't know why I do it, but I guess it's just a habit that started when I'd have low supply days). I noticed that milk that was coming out from one of the "pores" on the nipple was oily. Oily as in clear/yellow oil bubbles that stayed separate from the milk. Like oil mixed with milk. It's so weird! I've had that before after a clogged duct resolved itself, but there's been nothing going on there in a while. No pain or anything so I'm sure it's not mastitis, which is what Google suggests.

Default Re: Milk looks oily!

I'd consider that a normal variant. Milk composition changes as a duct goes from full to empty. At the beginning, when the duct is very full, the milk is relatively high in water and lactose and relatively low in fat. As the duct gets emptier, the fat that clings to the side of the duct starts to get pulled out. When the duct is really, really empty, you might see some very fat-rich milk, which would look oily rather than watery.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Milk looks oily!

Thanks, that could be it. It was weird since it was only milk from one tiny hole that presented as oily. The rest looked fine. That's also the duct I usually get clogs in, incidentally, though this time I really couldn't see any plug/clog nor did I feel soreness. I've not seen it today.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.