Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Medela Symphony Rental - increased output?

Default New Medela Symphony Rental - increased output?

Hi,

I've been BF'ing my 9 month old and in the last month or so have seen a sharp decrease in my pumping output. I have enough for her at the breast, but in the last week, the decrease in pumping output has been pretty severe. I'm no where near pumping enough for her for daycare. I went from pumping 10-12 oz a day to 6 oz a day. Up until a month ago I was getting this 10-12 oz in 5 pumping sessions. Then I had to increase my pumping sessions to 7 times a day to get 10-12 oz. It's still taking me 7 pumping sessions to get 6 oz.

I rented a Medela Symphony yesterday and was curious if it might take some time to see an increase in output. I've used the Symphony twice and have seen no increase and maybe even a slight decrease. It appears to be working fine.

Prior to the Symphony, I had been using a PISA and was getting decent output.

Any advice, experiences and tips would be grately appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: New Medela Symphony Rental - increased output?

It took about a week with the symphony pumping ever 2 hours at work for me to see an increased supply. Now few weeks later I am back to every 2.5 hours and maintaining my supply ok.

With such a drastic drop in supply though I have to wonder if something else is going on - getting your period, pregnant, thrush or clogged duct for example? Has baby recently started solids or started sleeping through the night?

Thank you.

I've been having odd periods. I've been bleeding about once a week for the last month or so. My OB said this is normal with BF'ing. Baby has been eating solids and in the last month been sleeping through the night. She's below 3rd percentile, so weight gain is a big concern and we've been feeding her some high fat foods at daycare in addition to her 9-12 oz of milk.
    We just got back from a 10 day vacation, where I nursed her A LOT. I was hoping that would do the trick, but it hasn't.

I started taking Fenugreek and Mother's Love More Milk Plus again. I hope that helps.

I had a major 9 month pumping slump too and the Symphony helped me get my supply back up. I ended up renting it for a month but I think I was noticing results after a couple of weeks. It was not overnight. I did my normal pumping sessions every 2-3 hours during the work day, nursed on demand when we were together and then in the evening after my baby was asleep I put on my pumping bra, got myself some kind of delicious treat from the kitchen and turned on the pump in front of the TV for as long as I could stand it--like maybe for an hour while I watched an hour long TV show. I didn't necessarily get more milk than I would have pumping for the regular 15-20 minutes but I think it was the additional stimulation that was helpful. Another thing that helped me was cosleeping and nursing over night. Baby got more milk at night and was less demanding during the day and night time nursing is really good for keeping up over all supply for some moms.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamabusch View Post
    I've been having odd periods. I've been bleeding about once a week for the last month or so. My OB said this is normal with BF'ing.
    Not necessarily. I mean, it can be, but there are other explanations for frequent bleeding. Did the doc consider those alternatives? And if so, what wraps the outcome?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you Sproket and Mommal!
    Good to hear that it may take some time. We recently transitioned from bed sharing to her sleeping in her room because none of us were getting good sleep when co-sleeping or bedsharing. She is now sleeping great and is much healthier. I have added a night time pumping session to try to mitigate the loss of the endless night time feedings. Going back to bedsharing isn't really an option for us, as we just made a very successful transition.

No, my OB just said that if this persists after we start to wean I can come in... WELLL... I've had multiple "periods" since I got on the mini pill and stopped taking it at the end of March. We're not TTC, but we're not preventing. I'm still having multiple "periods." What other reasons could they be? Should I push for a better explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamabusch View Post
    I'm still having multiple "periods." What other reasons could they be? Should I push for a better explanation?
    I'm with mommal - your ob's explanation that this is related to breastfeeding seems a little odd to me.

This is a really readable, if technical, article about the evaluation of abnormal uterine bleeding: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0101/p35.html

At the very least, I would think a test for thyroid function and a pregnancy test would be in order, and you'd definitely want to talk about testing for PCOS and perhaps prolactin levels as well. I mean, it seems to me that this certainly could be anovulatory bleeding associated with high prolactin levels... But most women who are nursing don't get this sort of bleeding. So I think that when your ob brushes this off as being breastfeeding-related, he/she may not be doing his/her due diligence WRT other alternatives.

FTR, irregular bleeding is a textbook side-effect of hormonal contraceptives. So it's not at all weird that you were having multiple bleeding episodes while on the mini-pill. What is a bit odd is that they continued after you stopped taking the mini-pill. Probably normal. But I'd definitely push for a better explanation, if it were me!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@llli*sprocket - question for you. Did your supply return to normal after you started seeing results and did your supply remain normal once you went back to your old pump?