Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stop pumping and only using donor milk beginning 9 mo

Unhappy Stop pumping and only using donor milk beginning 9 mo

Hello mamas. I've endured low milk supply with DS1 and pumped till 14 mo (along with receiving donor milk). Now with DS2, I also pump every 2 hours and only make 10 oz p/day. I also receive donor milk to make up for another 15 oz. Here is my problem: I'm mentally and emotionally having trouble on pumping till 12 mo. I feel that it takes away time I could spend with DS1. Therefore, my goal is to pump till 9 mo (DS2 is 7 mo now).

My main concern with stopping: If I stop pumping at 9 mo, will stop giving DS2 my milk this compromise his immune system and nutrition? I know it's only 10 oz but it worries me a little. I have gotten frozen milk donations from September-December that I think will get us to the 12 mo mark. I just feel like it's not fair for DS2 that I stop pumping at 9 mo when I pumped 14 mo with DS1.

Am I just worrying too much? Opinions?

Default Re: Stop pumping and only using donor milk beginning 9 mo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usamom View Post
    Now with DS2, I also pump every 2 hours and only make 10 oz p/day. I also receive donor milk to make up for another 15 oz. ...

I feel that it takes away time I could spend with DS1. Therefore, my goal is to pump till 9 mo (DS2 is 7 mo now).

My main concern with stopping: If I stop pumping at 9 mo, will stop giving DS2 my milk this compromise his immune system and nutrition? ... I just feel like it's not fair for DS2 that I stop pumping at 9 mo when I pumped 14 mo with DS1.

Am I just worrying too much? Opinions?
    Couple of clarifying questions mama,

Are you talking about exclusive pumping? Do you nurse from the breast too? Because you said "I only pump 10 oz and receive donor milk to make up for another 15 oz". If you were talking about exclusive pumping that would make sense since EP is usually very difficult to stimulate milk production as compared to breastfeeding and pumping. Now if you are talking about pumping for just work, my question would be why in the world would your baby need 25 oz of milk during your work shift? That's probably the maximum milk he would need in a day total from any source!
    Is your second question that he will not be getting any breast milk from 9 to 12 months or just not your breast milk? Any breast milk is much better than none, and if no breast milk is available then formula is better than another animals milk (like cow/goat). His immune system does work in conjunction with yours, yes, but the donor milk will contain antibodies too and should be helpful!

Are you wanting help to continue feeding on your own?
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*garsmum View Post
    Couple of clarifying questions mama,

Are you talking about exclusive pumping? Do you nurse from the breast too? Because you said "I only pump 10 oz and receive donor milk to make up for another 15 oz". If you were talking about exclusive pumping that would make sense since EP is usually very difficult to stimulate milk production as compared to breastfeeding and pumping. Now if you are talking about pumping for just work, my question would be why in the world would your baby need 25 oz of milk during your work shift? That's probably the maximum milk he would need in a day total from any source!
    Is your second question that he will not be getting any breast milk from 9 to 12 months or just not your breast milk? Any breast milk is much better than none, and if no breast milk is available then formula is better than another animals milk (like cow/goat). His immune system does work in conjunction with yours, yes, but the donor milk will contain antibodies too and should be helpful!

Are you wanting help to continue feeding on your own?
    I breastfeed and pump and he might get an average of 10 oz from me total during the day (breast or pumped). That's why we need the help of a donor with an extra 15 oz. I don't work and I pump 7 times a day after breastfeeding to stimulate prolactin. We've weighed baby before and after and he never gets more than 1.5 oz from me.

My second concern is that he doesn't get my breast milk... maybe a bit selfish.

Hey It sounds like you are on a pretty grueling schedule and I'm impressed you've got this far so well done you!

If you are at home would it be possible just to let the baby feed as much as possible and pump less? If you still feed regularly your supply shouldn't diminish (unless you have health issues/medication or the baby has a poor latch/uses nipple shields). You can still 'top up' with the donor milk and the baby will still be getting milk from you!

Currently I pump at night when my baby does 1 sided feeds as I can pump the other side with baby in 'clutch' position feeding from the other. I find during the day baby feeds so much I never manage to get much. Would something like this be an option maybe? I pump due to giving baby top ups. I'm on domperidone for my supply... So I tend not to worry about it any more... But I'm aware you may not have found anything to help and therefore have more worry than me :s

I am thinking that if you just nurse and allow your baby to maintain whatever supply he can, you're still getting the benefits of producing milk, and your baby is still getting the benefits of receiving fresh milk from mom plus the benefits of nursing itself. Okay, so the proportion of donor milk is higher... But whatever! If you feel like this is your best option, the one that allows you to balance the challenges of mothering best, then who are we to say different?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"