Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pink eye and breastfeeding?

Default Pink eye and breastfeeding?

Okay so I may be posting the weirdest question on here, ever! My DS is 5 months and may have pink eye (not confirmed, dr office visit today). His eye, since last night, has been red swollen and secreting a yellowish discharge that mattes his little lashes together pretty sure it's pink eye...

My question is- we bedshare and when I woke up at this morning, as he was nursing some of the discharge got on my breast, nipple, and camisole. Not sure how, but it did! Knowing that pink eye is super contagious, I immediately showered off because he was ready to nurse again. Could I get an infection related to pink eye on my breast or nipple?! If the discharge happened and he nursed before I caught it sometime in the night, could he get a pink eye related infection of the mouth? ...weird, weird- I know!

Lastly, anyone here have something specific they do to treat pink eye that is not an antibiotic. I also have a 3 yr old that loves to be in brother's face so I'm gearing up for battling pink eye in two littles!!!

Thanks for any help!!!

Default Re: Pink eye and breastfeeding?

hey there, I have never heard of pink eye spreading anywhere besides the eye, but have no facts to back that up. My little ones had pink eye last year and I treated it with breastmilk 3-4 times a day. Cleared up quick - we never even went to the Dr. over it. We have had the random case of pink eye at the house as my step kids are regularly at a cattle farm with their stepdad.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

It seems very unlikely that you could get pinkeye anywhere other than your eye. But you definitely want to be extra careful about hygiene, since the easiest way to prevent pinkeye from spreading is careful and frequent hand washing.

Try squirting or dripping some breastmilk in your baby's eye. It really is a time-honored treatment for pinkeye!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it is good you are seeing a doctor because your baby is so young and you want to rule out an irritant or blocked tear duct. But "pink eye" can be caused by many factors and is not always caused by a bacterial infection nor is it always contagious.

Last spring my husband and I both got horrid red, itchy, watery, dischargy, crusty eyes for weeks. Could not open my eyes in the morning, that bad. Freaked me out! It turned out to be seasonal allergies, even though neither of us had ever had that type of allergic reaction before.

cdc on pink eye http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Conjunctivitis/

I wanted to add to lllmeg that it could be a blocked duct, but if that is the case do your research on it. My DS1 had blocked tear ducts in both eyes and we chose not to have them cleared with a procedure and both opened up on their own by 15 months or so. I have 2 family members who had their ducts opened and now have problems with dry eyes. This is the experience I have with it, and may not be indicitive of your situation, but it's worth noting that a blocked tear duct is somewhat of a pain to deal with, but does not pose any kind of medical issue.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Thank you everyone who responded! Dr confirmed it was pink eye (though plugged tear duct crossed my mind too) and we tried breastmilk. I asked the ped before I did it and she said that she had heard of people using breastmilk, but that it almost never works... Well it does!!!! I dropped a few drops in 3-4 times a day and no more redness or "eye poop" (yellow discharge). So thank you so much for the advice ladies. Breastmilk is pretty much God's miracle salve to mamas!

Awesome, mama! So glad the milk in the eye trick worked! "Almost never works", huh?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"