Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk protein allergy - when to pump/dump

Default milk protein allergy - when to pump/dump

My 11 week old son was very colicky for the first few weeks with tummy aches and would wake up in a panic screaming. The pediatrician suggested it may be a milk protein allergy, so I gave it up the last three weeks not knowing if it was a coincidence but
    he's beenmuch happier with time!
    My question now is: I ate dairy tonight, and right after fed him from stored breast milk, and an hour after eating pump/dumped... When does food/milk go into your supply, when is best to dispose of the milk? I don't want to do it too soon disposing good milk and then giving him dairy after... please give me your knowledge on the subject!

Default Re: milk protein allergy - when to pump/dump

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the fussiness/colic/screaming, what symptoms of a milk protein allergy did your baby have? Eczema? Green/mucousy/bloody stools? Other evidence of allergy? There are a lot of moms out there who end up doing unnecessary elimination diets due to vague comments from their kids' doctors.

With the exception of alcohol, I don't think anyone really knows how fast substances from something you ate enter your milk. I would guess that they're there within a few hours- but a lot probably depends on the size of the molecule in question.

Dairy proteins tend to be very persistent in a mom's system. This is why it often takes 2-3 weeks for a dairy elimination to show results. But many babies are only a little sensitive to dairy, so a single slip-up doesn't wreck your elimination diet. If it were me, I would simply nurse the baby as usual. If your baby doesn't react badly over the next few days, then he probably can handle some dairy in your diet. Maybe even a lot. This is an opportunity to figure out where you stand! If you're concerned about your pumped milk, just label it and stick it in your freezer, and make decisions about it at a later date. It could be your "in the event of an emergency" milk.

These 2 links are good reading for moms who are concerned about allergies:
    http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...d-sensitivity/
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal and would add this:
    The academy of breastfeeding medicine suggests that breastfeeding continue while the potentially offending food is eliminated, because breastmilk is still the most healthy infant food option even if a child is having an allergic reaction to something mom ate. So even if you are 100% positive your child is reacting to a milk protein allergy via your milk, the suggestion from them would be to continue to nurse while again eliminating the offending food(s) from your diet, unless perhaps the reaction is so severe the child's overall health is clearing being compromised (loss of weight for example.)

also, I would suggest that one way to test whether or not dairy is the issue or it is a coincidence, would be to take a few weeks of no dairy and then eat dairy (a good helping of unfermented dairy, like a big glass of milk, not just a little cheese) and see if that causes the issues to return. Even if it did, it might be a coincidence still, but it would be more evidence to consider.

also some moms find they cannot drink milk or eat icecream, but can eat moderate amounts of cheese and yogurt without it bothering baby.

http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

Thank you both very much! Before the decision of stopping dairy I went to the doctor because my sons congestion was so bad.. He has had regular congestion since birth and they said within a few months that'll slowly disappear. But it was very green, mucousy, he slept in an upright glider swing because it sat in his throat, he'd wake up swallowing and coughing. Also always woke up in a panic screaming before his eyes ever even had the chance to open. Throughout the day and night, he'd try falling asleep but tightening his stomach he was discomforted crying no matter how tired he was, which we originally thought was colic. He also had a poop diaper EVERY diaper change, was pooping more than urinating. (I nurse so it's always a diarehea consistency).
    A few days after stopping dairy the poop diapers were lessened, the episodes of screaming stopped, he would wake up happy and ease into fussing for his needs, and a lot of congestion cleared up. I don't know for sure if it was he cause or just with age still but I've had a LITTLE dairy here and there recently and he seemed okay. (As you said maybe a slice of cheese or yogurt are less sensitive) but after the ice cream he would not stay asleep all day yesterday, stayed up late at night and wouldn't stay asleep unless I held him so he actually stayed in my bed the whole night out f comfort. So I guess I'll go dairy free again and eventually introduce a little yogurt, or cheese back in wish it was easy as people do with alcohol to remove the milk that had dealt with cow protein!