Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cyclic colic ??

Default cyclic colic ??

Hi, I am new to the forum

my daughter is 8 weeks old. From day one, she has been "la screamita". She will scream for HOURS, inconsolable. After one particularly harrowing day, I took her to the pediatrician who called it colic.We are talking ALL DAY CRYING here.
    I guess my main question is to ask is it normal for babies to be colicky during all waking periods during a day? she seems to do this for about 3 days, then will be an awesome, cool baby for 3-4 days and then have another 3-ish days of constant crying. She is breastfed and bottle fed pumped breastmilk.
    I have eliminated both dairy and gluten from my diet,and I do not consume acidic foods -- nothing tomato based or vinegar based, no garlic, no strong flavors. She is on zantac for reflux and probiotics, as well as gas drops.
    Nothing seems to help with the screaming though! I initially had oversupply and overactive let down, but I worked with a lactation consultant and have resolved that issue, mostly.

HAve any of you other BF-ing mommies had babies with colic this extreme? It just seems so strange that it is so inconsistent and when it comes on it is so severe and long lasting. Can you think of anything else I can do?

Her poop is normal for a breastfed baby. Green when I had oversupply but now is yellow and seedy, if a bit mucousy. She does still spit up most every feeding, sometimes large amounts. She doesn't projectile anymore though since we put her on zantac.

I'd appreciate any input you have !

Default Re: cyclic colic ??

I only have a few minutes but wanted to throw out there that it could be your OALD is not actually resolved as it can cause reflux/colic like symptoms. I also found that when my DS2 was a newborn that the prenatal vitamins I was taking were wreaking havoc on him. The iron was too much for him. He had reflux like symptoms from that as well.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

thanks! what were you taking as a prenatal? i am using new chapter prenatals from whole foods

Well, go figure that was what I was taking as well... maybe stop taking them for a week and see what happens. I saw a change very quickly in DS2. It's always worth a shot to take a natural (and free) approach.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

hi, wondering if the food eliminations helped at all.
    I agree that what this sounds like the most is forceful letdown. (Except the days off, days on aspect, which does not sound like anything I am aware of- allergy or anything else.) Assuming it is ffld, How frequently does baby nurse? If possible to increase frequency, that can help quite a bit.

Does your daily household rhythm change every few days? Anything else that might trigger it?

because you are right-"colic" is really just a catch all for "baby crying and cannot be consoled" but it does usually follow a pattern, and that pattern is the baby is upset and cannot be calmed for a few hours each day and may lasts for a few weeks, several weeks and in some cases, months. But it is typically daily but not ALL day.

My oldest & youngest both would get very fussy and crying every evening. I found gas drops useless. All that really helped was to hold baby and, when they would calm enough to nurse, nurse. Changing the sensory output would often (but not always) help. So, if sitting, I would stand, if standing, I would walk, if walking I would bounce. Going outside helped. I once held my daughter under the turned on oven fan and she calmed right down. Handing baby off to someone else for comforting as needed helped me keep my sanity.

One thing I learned is that crying begets crying. If I moved to comfort baby asap, or better yet, was holding baby most of the time anyway, that kept baby from revving up so high it was impossible to calm him (or her) and baby was more likely to be calm enough to nurse down. When for whatever reason baby had really started to wail, it was often more difficult to get baby calm. But that does not mean nursing always did the trick! With a fussy colcky baby, the frustrating thing is nursing will not comfort as well or as reliably as it usually does.

I have started nursing a lot more, afternoon and at night.( I work 730-2) My story is kind of crazy. Lils had latching issues, due to the oversupply stuff so my LC recommended pumping and bottle feeding after a few consultations, as nursing would result in projectile vomiting worse than bottle feeding. She seemed to be gulping a LOT of air when I breastfed in the beginning.( as stated above, she also has reflux)
    Lily as born by c section for breech presentation and I was not allowed to nurse her for over an hour after she was born... boy I was pissed about that! Not sure if that caused latching issues or if it was nipple confusion, but now that she is 2 months, her latch is much better. I refused to quit attempting to breastfeed in hopes that I would be able to ditch the bottles as much as possible.. I had family members pushing me to formula feed and give up! Ugh.
    I have stopped the new chapter prenatals and am going to see if that helps with the crying. Funny that it's the same ones you took, 5ofus!
    Meg, yes. unfortunately the routine at my house has changed frequently as we live away from family so we have had a LOT of visitors coming to stay for multiple days to get to see the baby- also contributing LOTS of unsolicited advice about our feeding routine ;p
    Do you think that could be causing this much upset? I have to admit, it did cross my mind. Luckily, the last visitor is leaving today and Lily will have a normal more peaceful routine now. I wouldn't be surprised if her "colic" symptoms don't get much better.. I will report!

oh yeah. so after eliminating all the food, she has been somewhat better. I ate a slice of pizza last night to "test" - we BF'ed three times in the middle of the night and she was not miserable this morning, so it's hard to tell if it was coincidental or not! I am still going to go back to the GF DF diet though for now until we see definite improvement overall in her tummy troubles. Poor Lils.
    Last edited by @llli*emily.mclean; May 9th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.

I think getting into a regular routine without the stress of visitors, especially visitors who are less helpful than others, can certainly only help. Babies and children Are like sponges. They pick up on everything that is going on around them. The pick up on the mood of their parents and caregivers. Some children are far more sensitive about this than others but all of them have this capacity.

When you work how is baby fed? That is also something to consider. If baby is not being fed via paced to bottle-feeding, I would suggest you have your caregiver do so.

If the pumping and bottle feeding helped you and baby, great. However I would suggest that for anyone else reading this, if a lactation consultant or anyone else is suggesting that, proceed only with great caution. We know that both pumping and bottlefeeding can cause many issues in the early days. And we also know that there are other ways to reduce severe milk over production even quite quickly. Also, spitting up, even forceful spit up, is not necessarily a health issue in a breast-fed baby who is gaining normally.

As far as allergies go, here is what I would suggest. If illiminating all those foods at once is something you can do without too much stress on you, then it's fine to continue to do so. However you're right you never really know if one of them was the culprit or which one.

A more systematic procedure would be to eliminate one food group probably starting with dairy. Eliminate all dairy for two weeks. Then drink a glass of milk. If the symptoms alleviate when you're off of it and come back after you drink the milk, that is a good indication dairy is indeed an issue. It doesn't really prove anything because it could all still be coincidence but I think it would give you a clearer picture.

Nursing more frequently, and also making sure the baby gets frequent small feedings while you are not with baby by using paced bottlefeeding and cue feeding, will hopefully help with both reflux and forceful letdown.

You have worked so hard to make sure that you can continue to nurse your baby. This is only going to increase baby's health and happiness not only now but for their lifetime. Hopefully your baby will start feeling better soon you will soon be able to start reaping all the many benefits of being a breast-feeding mother.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 9th, 2014 at 10:17 AM.

When I am at work, baby is fed by bottle with breastmilk that I have expressed. I am not sure about paced bottle feeding?? do you mind giving me some info on that?
    It isn't a big deal to do the elimination diet- food (what I eat) just isn't that important anymore now that Lils is here but I agree with you about the systematic procedure.

Believe me, I hate bottle feeding. I cried for a long time when it seemed like my only option. In my mind, I wanted this beautiful perfect breastfeeding bond with my baby. All I can do now is try to slowly breastfeed more when I can unless the bottle is absolutely necessary in my absence. I feel like I have screwed her little feeding responses up by confusing her, because I didn't know what I was doing and I was desperate for her to gain weight in the beginning.(She lost a LOT due to reflux at first, and that's why the bottle was recommended because it seemed to cause her less after feeding discomfort.) She is back up to normal weight now. She started at 8lb 10 oz and went down to barely 7 lbs before I started bottle feeding. Now she is back up and beyond to a little over 10 lbs. Hopefully we will get her straightened out. Thanks for all of your input <3

Hi sorry I could not link info before as I was on my phone and I am dumb that way.

Here is an article about bottle feeding the breastfed baby, which included info on paced bottle feeding: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and here is a youtube video that is good. Just ignore what she says about time between feedings, it's kind of an off hand remark anyway. usually best if baby is cue fed by the caregiver even if it is more often than every 2- 3 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Because it is really unusual for a baby to actually lose weight due to a mom having overproduction (or even due to reflux,) It makes sense to me that what worked for you to fix that situation was unusual too and I am glad your LC thought of it. I just wanted to point out for other moms that this is not a usual recommendation.

I do not think you confused your baby or screwed up her feeding responses. I think your confidence as a breastfeeding mother may have been a little thrown by all these issues, and all of us know how hard it can be to feel confident as moms even when everything seems "perfect." But I think you are doing great and always have done. You have addressed some scary issues (weight loss is always a scary issue) and come through it still nursing. For the most part, I think you can rely on your baby to know when she is hungry, when she is not, and when she wants to nurse for closeness and comfort even if she is not hungry. Bottles can cause some feeding issues, and those are what paced bottle feeding can often help. I suggest, just keep following her cues and encouraging her to nurse as much as you like as well.