Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething pain -baby doesn't want to nurse

Question teething pain -baby doesn't want to nurse

it seems like every time i go to nurse my 4mo old, she will latch for 2 seconds and then turn her head away (trying to take my nipple with her btw) and cry. i bring her back, sometimes change positions, re-latch, and she turns away to cry again. this is repeated probably 20-30 times when i'm at the end of my patience with it and i stop trying. i think she might be teething and i wonder if sucking hurts her gums??? she bites down on her fingers all day long and drools like a fountain. she won't use teethers rings probably because she doesn't have the coordination to hold them in her mouth long enough for them to give her any relief. it's so frustrating because i know she is hungry. usually it's been a few hours and my breasts are full to the point of squirting when trying to latch. if this happens when she's getting tired then it's even worse because IF i can get her to nurse, the crying has tired her out so much that she falls asleep leaving my breasts still full and her tummy (i assume) still empty. what can i do to make nursing more comfortable for her (and me!)?
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

Default Re: teething pain -baby doesn't want to nurse

When there's an abrupt change in the baby's nursing, I think it makes sense to take her in to the doctor and have someone take a look in her ears. A stealth ear infection could explain her reluctance to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: teething pain -baby doesn't want to nurse

she was at the doctor's 2 days ago and everything was fine...
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13