Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no/low supply

Default Re: no/low supply

I should add that my mother had a similar problem. She couldn't stimulate a supply with a pump when my sister was in the NICU. She'd been able to breastfeed my brother with no trouble. The pump just didn't work for her. She said that she'd never been able to get more than a few ml's while pumping, but that my brother was EBF for 6 months and was a chubby baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beelzebubble View Post

He suggested domperidone or reglan but was not willing to prescribe because it's out of his area of expertise. He thought I would need more help than just the drug to stimulate production.

I've mostly come to terms with not being able to breastfeed. I think the window has passed on that. But, I'm not giving up yet. If he's right, this is encouraging.
    I think it's encouraging too... some women do seem to respond to the pump much less than others. Are you considering domperidone? Depending on where you live it may be more or less easy to find someone to prescribe it to you if you are. Hopefully an IBCLC can give you more advice about that.

I had also experienced this when I had my first baby. He was left in the nursery for a week since he's a yellow baby. My milk was so abundant by the time he was away from me; after a week it started to get lesser. No matter how hard I tried for the milk to come out, it seemed to stop after a month. At least he was able to breastfeed him for 3 weeks.

I just wanted to give you all an update. I was to able get my hands on some medication and now I'm slowly building a supply. I'm up to about 5 oz a day and adding a few ml's every day on average. She's getting almost a third of her intake from me! So, for me, the problem most definitely was that my prolactin crashed after delivery. For whatever reason, the pump alone was not enough to build any sort of supply. I needed some help via medication. I don't know what was to blame (preeclampsia, magnesium sulfate, prematurity, etc.), but at least I know that I'm capable of producing some.

Now, if I could only get her to breast...

Also, I found a cool iphone app called Milk Maid that tracks pumping. It's been helpful for me to see how my supply is growing.

Wow, that's fantastic news! You should be so proud of all the hard work you've done to get to this point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's great, thanks for the update!