Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one breast producing less than the other

Default one breast producing less than the other

My daughter is now 5 weeks old. When I have been breastfeeding since she was born. While still in the hospital I saw a lactation consultant who told me I had an inverted nipple on my right side. I've since had to use a nipple shield (on both nipples because baby now doesn't like the left breast without it). It been going very well until this past week. I developed a pimple like lump on the side of my nipple which was extremely painful. I could not put the shield on an if I did I was in lots of painful. When she latched on. My concern is that now that breast doesn't seem to produce as much milk as the other or as much as it did before this happened. Is there a way to be it to begin to reproduce as much as the other? I feel like she just gets frustrated when I offer her that breast because she isn't getting any milk from it.

Default Re: one breast producing less than the other

Hi and welcome!

A 'pimple like bump" sounds like it may be a bleb. A bleb is like a plugged duct that appears on the nipple. (there may or may not also be a deeper plug behind it.) They can REALLY hurt, and of course any plug might impede milk flow as the duct is plugged and milk cannot come past that plug. Has that resolved and what are you trying for that if not? Here are a few ideas: https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Aside from that, it is normal for one breast to make less milk than the other. As long as baby is gaining well, you make enough and all should be ok.

What I am most concerned about is the continued nipple shield use. Has anyone ever tried to help you latch baby without a shield? Are you continuing to try yourself? An "inverted" nipple is something you would have almost certainly been aware of yourself prior to having a baby. Did you ever notice an issue with that nipple? And even if a nipple IS indeed inverted, that does not necessarily mean baby cannot latch without a shield. And even if baby could not latch without the shield at a few days old, does not mean baby cannot latch without the shield now.

Shields can be great tools when used properly and there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with using a shield. If your baby could not latch and nurse without it, then using one was the right call.

However, nipple shields have been linked to slow weight gain and inadequate milk production because they can make it harder for baby to extract milk (also possibly leading to increased risk of plugs) . Due to this, The typical recommendation when using a shield is to pump at least a short time after nursing sessions (not necessarily every nursing session but several times a day, at least until milk production is clearly well established) and also to continue to work on latch so baby can be "weaned off" the shield as soon as possible. More on shields: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/