Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about night away from breastfeeding baby

Default Worried about night away from breastfeeding baby

Hi there
    So my sister is getting married in late june and I had planned to night wean by that time. But now Im getting cold feet and thinking that, that is maybe not the right thing for us. The problem is that I can not take my daughter (18m by that time) with us to the wedding and she will be left with her grandparents for 24h (or maybe more). Im not worried about her during the day but the sleeping trough the night will be very hard.

Should I prep her in some way for this, how? Should I pump when normally she drinks 1-2time per day and 3-5times per night? I am so torn cause I cant and wont skip the wedding but I feel bad about not taking her with me. I feel really bad about this. Maybe its just better to night wean?

Thanx
    Sweet, strong willed girl born in dec. 2012

Default Re: Worried about night away from breastfeeding baby

If you're not ready to night wean, I wouldn't do it for just the one night. I occasionally work midnight shifts, and my DD (20 months) doesn't expect to nurse when I'm not there. If she wakes up, my DH just cuddles her back to sleep, whereas she still wakes up and wants to nurse while I'm there. I would definitely bring a pump with you though, in case you get uncomfortable. You don't want to remember your sister's wedding as the time you got plugged ducts or mastitis!

with Carm3. Don't make yourself and your child miserable now because of something which might not even be a problem come late June.

I know that some brides-to-be get very touchy about their "special day" and not making exceptions for people who want to bring their kids to an adults-only event. But you don't know if your sister is going to be like that unless you ask. So be honest! Tell her you're really worried about leaving your baby for 24 hours, and ask her if your child can attend. Or come to the venue and be babysat while you're at the wedding. I know that if my sister asked for the rules to be bent, I'd bend them until they broke.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think a night away from mom is going to be hard whether baby is weaned or not. Although of course, some kids surprise you and do fine.

If you cannot bring baby, just prep the grandparents for the fact baby has a tendency to wake during the night. Blame teething if you don't want to get into lengthy discussions of your nighttime habits. Discuss what strategies may be most helpful and what you are comfortable with so grandparents have some guidelines. Bedsharing? Letting baby watch some tv? reading a book? Midnight snack? etc. etc. It's one night. If baby and grandparents do not sleep well one night, they will survive.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

The wedding is hosted outside in not so warm weather and everyone is expected to stay the night in tents.. Yes we are weird here in northern Scandinavia Its just to much hassle to bring a toddler. But yeah I shouldnt be so worrying just yet.
    Sweet, strong willed girl born in dec. 2012