Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poop- how long is too long?

Default poop- how long is too long?

My 10.5 month old is not big on solids. That being said, we are working on it so he has about an Oz of solids every other day or so. So I guess you could say he's 99.9 percent breastfed.

His doc said going 8 days without pooping is fine but now we are going on two weeks. Getting him to take juice is nearly impossible since he rejects sippy cups, bottles etc. So his dr said to try miralax.

I'm hesitant to try miralax. My oldest had kidney problems and took anti biotics her entire first year of life and was constipated a lot- once we introduced miralax it was a year before she could poop without it.

So I have two questions

Can you think of any alternatives?
    How long is too long? Surely two weeks of limited solids would create some waste even if my milk supposedly does not.

Default Re: poop- how long is too long?

Oh I should add that my supply takes a huge hit just before my period and his wet count goes down to about two to three okay diapers. And that it's about four on a regular day. He has lost a few Oz and he was sent for a feeding evaluation but we can't afford it so we are looking for alternatives. I think my supply is lowering and I am not sure how long I'll be able to make it without him taking solids to help.

Okay I think it's important to define your concern here. Is your concern that your baby is not pooping because they are not getting enough to eat? Or is your concern that baby is not pooping because the baby is constipated?

If your concern is that the baby is constipated, I would suggest that a 8 days is not an indication of that. Even Much longer seems to happen commonly with babies who are breast-fed or primarily breast-fed. Baby being uncomfortable, bloated, straining to go, that kind of thing would indicate constipation, and would indicate constipation even if baby had not pooped for only a couple days. In other words I would go more by babies behavior then how many days it has been.

When my daughter was about eight months old, and had only just barely started eating solids, she went 21 days without pooping. I mean that's how many days we counted we actually did not start counting from the beginning.
    Her pediatrician was aware of the situation and simply told us to wait. At point I think he wanted to crawl through the phone and pull the bottle of glycerine suppositories out of my hand! My daughter never showed any discomfort until maybe the last day so even though it was very worrying we went with the pediatrician suggestion. I think I did give her some probiotics but I don't think they made any difference and when she finally pooped.

If your baby won't drink juice, and you want to encourage baby to eat foods that will cause baby to be more likely to not be constipated, there are pears, peaches, and prunes. Apples and apple juice are not suggested I guess they can be binding? Bananas and rice are also to be avoided. There is something else that causes constipation the babies typically eat but I forget what it is.
    Is your baby getting iron supplements? Or some other food that has lots of added iron? Iron Supplements can cause constipation as well.

But if your concern is that your baby is not getting enough nutrition, that is a very different concern.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 1st, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Also I don't think a baby going a while without pooping is due to there being 'no waste.' When baby eventually goes, it is usually a lot.

I think this sounds like a situation to be watchful of, but not overly concerned about. If your baby is suddenly seeming really uncomfortable, or straining to poop, or his poop is pellet-like, dry, and will roll off the diaper if you pick it up- then you can get concerned and think about using some Miralax.

Right now, concentrate on offering the P fruits (peaches, pears, plums, aPricots), and also blueberries and cherries. Avoid the BRAT foods (bananas, rice, apples, and toast/bread). Apples are to be avoided because the peel contains pectin- the same stuff that is used to make jams and jellies firm. And keep a poop diary! It can be really hard to remember how long it has been since your LO pooped. And a dairy will help you spot any patterns that develop- like baby going longer and longer in between poops.

I can understand why you're reluctant to use Miralax, but if it becomes necessary, don't be too scared of it. It is not something that kids become dependent on. Think of it more like artificial fiber- it draws water into the colon, making the poop softer and easier to pass. The most likely explanation for the length of time your daughter took to get off of Miralax is that constipation is pernicious and must be treated in the longterm. Seriously, the biggest mistake people make when treating constipation is to try to keep the course of treatment as short as possible.

I guess I'm concerned with both things, but less so on the poop front since he pooped today, and your replies were reassuring.

One of the peds at his practice wants us to supplement with formula since he's been about 19 lbs since he was six months, but his actual ped isn't super concerned. I'm worried that my supply is low- in fact I KNOW it is. He doesn't pee much. Really, just two decent diapers (per the amount suggested at kellymom) in the AM and after that it's a task to be able to tell if he actually peed for the last two dipes of the day. And the week before my period it's worse.

I've read everything I can think of and made a thread here which I believe Mommal was very helpful on. But he's still losing weight slowly (which I know can be normal). We did find some success in giving him his daddy's yoplait yogurt. It's all he likes! But it's low fat and he refuses the full fat stuff.

I don't know how concerned to be and where I should go from this point.

Your baby is losing weight slowly? Or gaining weight slowly?

He's losing slowly. At 9 months he had lost about half a pound. He hasn't been weighed since. He did drop out of his curve.

I understand it can be normal to lose some weight due to being active but I'm confused by the inconsistencies. .. the ent we saw for an unrelated issue was concerned and suggested formula and a feeding eval, as did the other pediatrician... but his doc just said to push solids (which you don't do with this kid) and lll sources make all this sound perfectly normal. Depending on what I read and who I talk to he's either in trouble and not developing well or just fine.

Weight loss is troublesome in a baby. Doesn't matter if the baby is breastfed or formula-fed. In general, a baby should continue to gain weight throughout the first year, with the rate of weight gain slowing as the baby goes from early infancy to late infancy. Breastfed babies tend to slow down more than formula-fed ones, and may actually pause in their weight gain, but they generally do not lose weight.

The first thing to check is weighing procedure. Has baby always been weighed the same way (in the nude, or in a clean dry diaper) and has the same scale been used every time?

Second thing to think about is what the baby's weight gain has looked like over time. Is the apparent drop-off in weight gain very abrupt, or has he been slowing down for a long time? And where has he been on the charts? Generally on the higher end, or generally on the lower end?

Third thing to think about is whether or not baby has been tested for health problems that can affect growth. I'm thinking things like iron deficiency, lead poisoning, and food allergies/intolerances, but I know there are a lot of other ones. I'm thinking you want to have a good long conversation with your baby's doctor.

In terms of increasing a baby's weight gain, here's what you want to do:
    - Nurse more. If baby is nursing less than 8 times a day, try to get back to 8 or more nursing sessions. If baby is sleeping through the night without waking to eat, make sure you wake him up, or spur him to wake more by taking away sleep-extending tools like a pacifier or swaddle. "Don't wake a sleeping baby" does not apply when there is a problem with weight gain.
    - Feed baby lots of high-calorie solids. Avocado, beans, and meats are all good high-calorie foods. Add a drizzle of olive oil to his low-calorie solids (fruits, veggies).

He nurses around the clock. Up to five times at night and at least every hour unless we are out during the day. I just nursed him 45 minutes ago and he's nursing again now. A lot of it seems to be for comfort though.

I was just looking at his chart. It looks like he did gain a lb and a half 6-9 months and lost that half but then gained most of it back. Hard to tell on my phone. So I guess it's not as worrisome as I thought.

I guess I have multiple things going on here. Worry that my supply is tanking is a big one because I'm lucky to get him to eat two bites of food each day. Worry about his output being low is related. Worry about getting him to eat, as well.

His father and all his side of the family seem to subsist on air. I guess it could be genetic and he will be fine. He's clearly not dehydrated. He just doesn't pee as much as he should. Or eat. I dunno. It all makes my head spin. His pedi keeps, saying he's not concerned so I guess I shouldn't be either.