Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mixed feeding, baby only takes foremilk

Default Re: Mixed feeding, baby only takes foremilk

I'm not sure if it would really help your situation or not but, I found using the Medela supplemental nursing system to be a good way to kinda balance supplementing formula with breast milk. It is one of those things that you wear the bottle around your neck and have the tubes run down to your nipples so that the baby suckles at the breast to help stimulate your milk production while also getting the extra supplement with formula. Main benefits I see to this are to avoid having to pump as much since baby is stimulating the breast at the same time as removing milk from them. I find needing to pump to be a very difficult part of increasing milk supply. I'm still doing it but anything to reduce the need helps make things more sustainable for me. Of course I'm attempting to get to EBF and I don't think I would want to have to use the SNS indefinitely but I suppose it might be ok if it is only for one feeding a day provided it becomes less painful now that I've gotten DS tongue and lip tie treated (did it yesterday!)

An update...my baby is at the moment typically having 300 ml formula a day and 150 ml of expressed milk which I express in three pumps after feeds. She seems well hydrated. I have been weighing nappies and she produces about 500 ml of urine per day which I have read is normal. I might slowly start to try to drop anither feed and see if that is possible. I might very cautiously try to aim for breastfeeding during the day and bottle in morning and evening.

Wow, that sounds like progress! Well done, mama- and keep going!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the encouragement. Does anyone know of success stories of cutting down formula this late after birth (three months). I have looked through the increasing milk supply forums but mostly you do not hear the outcomes of peoples stories. Thanks.

Here's my best one: my mom was forced to wean my sister to formula at 3 months old due to some bad medical advice. 3 months later, when she was given the go-ahead to nurse again, everyone told her not to bother because her milk had completely dried up in the interim. But simply by putting my sister to the breast before topping up with formula, my mom regained a full supply and went on to nurse my sis until 18 months.

It can be done!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks, was that after weaning? How about people who have had supply issues from the start, are there any threads that end with a decrease in formula? I could do with some positive stories. I went to a breastfeeding support group yesterday and it made me completely lose my confidence again.

Yes, my mom's story took place after complete weaning. She had no milk left. None. And regained a full supply.

My personal story is less dramatic- I had to supplement with formula early on due to low supply caused by a very bad latch. I pumped and nursed my way out of that hole and got a full supply going in about 1.5 months.