Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What counts as "milk"?

Default What counts as "milk"? / Using breastmilk for cooking?

So my 12 month old is still nursing when I am home, but refuses to drink expressed milk at daycare. He does eat solid foods at daycare and some water, although sometimes he even refuses the water. I have tried different cups, but no luck so far.

I am confused about how much milk he should be getting at this age. On days when I work, he nurses 3 or 4 times (but I have no way of knowing how much he gets). I called the pediatrician's office and they said he needs at least 24-36ozs (but the nurse repeatedly forgot how old I said he was, so I don't know if that's correct for a toddler).

So my questions are 1) how much milk should he be getting at this age? and 2) if he won't drink my milk or cow's milk, what else "counts"? Does other dairy like yogurt and cheese count the same as milk nutritionally? What if I bake something with my breastmilk (does it count the same)? If I use frozen breastmilk for cooking, does he still have to consume it within 24 hours? Any other suggestions for how to get him to either drink my milk while we're apart or to at least make sure he is getting enough nutrition and hydration?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by @llli*nempne; April 30th, 2014 at 02:34 PM.

Default Re: What counts as "milk"?

24-36 oz??? Okay, anyway. The rule of thumb is that if your toddler is nursing 3-5 times per 24 hours, he is getting the dairy he needs. So sounds like you are already there on that basis. And yes, any dairy counts - yogurt, cheese, milk you cook in, milk from a cup, milk from the breast! There's a lot more flexibility once you get to toddlerhood. A lot of toddlers do start to refuse expressed milk so you are not alone (and many breastfed babies will also reject cow's milk). But if you keep nursing the amount you are, and maybe throw in a little yogurt or cheese into his diet, then you should be absolutely fine. As for hydration, I would not worry about it. The thirst drive is an extremely strong one. If he is thirsty, he will drink water.

The nurse gave you information for a formula-fed baby, not a 12 month old breastfed toddler. Breastfed babies typically take 19-30 oz of milk per day (see http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/), and once solids are a part of the baby's diet the baby's breastmilk intake can be expected to gradually decrease.

Keep nursing, give him yogurt and cheese for daycare, and you're good to go!

ETA: in case you're tempted to offer juice for daycare, don't. It's super-bad for his teeth. Let him drink water if he won't drink expressed milk or cow's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by mommal
    ETA: in case you're tempted to offer juice for daycare, don't. It's super-bad for his teeth. Let him drink water if he won't drink expressed milk or cow's milk.
    I jazz up water sometimes by putting a slice or two of citrus or cucumber in my DS' sippy cup (with a lid) for variety. It makes for a special treat!

Thanks Ladies! It seems like a lot of medical professionals are not very knowledgeable about breastfeeding especially beyond a few months. Sometimes they end up making me more confused.
    bfwmomof3- I did end op trying cow's milk, and like you said, he refused it as well, but he will eat dairy (so at least I know I am on track if he continues to nurse the same amount).
    Thanks mommal for the statistics - that also made me fell a lot better that he is getting enough (and I had considered breaking down and giving him juice! Good to know I don't have to). Maybe I will try aplhawoman's suggestion of adding some sliced cucumber to water!

That's good that he likes some dairy, gives you more options. Also, if you want the option of cow's milk, just because baby does not want it now, does not mean he will continue to refuse in the future.

Here is a reality check on normal milk intake for different age ranges: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    If he is being offered milk and/or water (we do milk with food at the table and water in between meals but it doesn't matter) several times throughout the day (and it's OK if he doesn't seem to drink much) in addition to nursing when you're together, he'll get plenty of fluids.