Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trouble getting enough supply to EBF

Default Re: Trouble getting enough supply to EBF

That makes sense. I am wondering, though, why he is so inefficient at feeding? It's common for newborns to take a long time to nurse, but I guess I am wondering whether there is something else contributing to inefficient nursing? A tongue or lip tie, or a problem in the way he is sucking? Some of these things can be intervened upon and improved through procedures or training/therapy. Have you seen the lactation consultant or doctor recently?

In terms of supply, I guess the question is, what is the frequency of pumping that you can live with? Because of course you need time to take care of baby and yourself and live life too!

I'd love to know... I have seen a lactation consultant and they have confirmed that our latch is good. Both the LC and the lactation doctor have confirmed no tongue tie (at least not any longer) and no lip tie. I feel like I created a monster with the bottle feeding and allowed him to be a lazy feeder. He can fall asleep at the breast and he knows that he will get a bottle after. I also don't think I have enough supply to keep up with him wanting the milk fast enough.

I think we would probably need to remove the bottle from the picture and allow him to cluster feed before he realizes he is going to have to work to get the milk. Unfortunately my supply isn't enough to justify that right now. He's eating around 26oz a day now that we started the EPing, and I'm making 18.5oz regularly now. So we're still 7.5oz off from where he needs to be to go EBF.

I can definitely handle 10 times a day. That's what I'm doing right now along with 1 or 2 power pumps a day in hopes I can still increase. I'm getting up twice to pump during the night but it's only for 25 minutes and then I'm back to bed. I'm working from home so I can throw on the pump and keep working. My husband is doing the bottle feeding during the night and covering me in the mornings when I am facilitating meetings or am hooked to the pump. During the afternoons I don't have many conference calls I have to be on, and I can adjust my pump schedule a tad around when I'm bottle feeding the baby.

I'd love to get down to 8 times a day eventually, but if I couldn't get to that, I think I can handle keeping up with the 10 times a day. It's still significantly less time than what I was doing. I feel like I'm on vacation.
    Last edited by @llli*erika2me; June 20th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

So he's getting 70% of his milk from you - that's great! There are some other threads on here about suck training and specific therapists who can help with that - you might want to browse around and see if it gives you any ideas. Otherwise, sounds like you have a good schedule. I did want to mention that one of my friends used to pump when on conference calls - if your pump is too loud you could probably try putting a blanket over it or something to muffle the noise. Also I forget what kind of pump you have, but a friend of mine had a baby recently and was pumping in the hospital with the Symphony - that thing is QUIET! I could barely even hear it! Anyway, that probably isn't enough of a justification to rent one, but if you find your output is dropping it could be something to consider, since some moms find they can increase their output with a hospital-grade pump.

ETA: This is the thread I was thinking of in which baby is working on suck training with a speech therapist:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...upply-struggle
    This baby did have a lip tie that was clipped so perhaps a slightly different situation, but just wanted to throw the idea out there.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; June 20th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thank you for the encouragement. It's easy to forget that he is still getting a lot of milk from me. I'm trying to continually remind myself that what he is getting is still great and formula is not the devil.

I'll take a look at the other thread. A couple different lactation consultants checked his suck as well, though I forgot about this. They said he has "quite a suck." He has never had trouble with sucking enough it doesn't seem. When we were using the nipple shield he would suck my nipple to the end and it would rub on the holes and kill me. The problem has always been he'll suck good and then just stop. From the moment he gets on the breast his eyes start rolling back into his head. I have tried everything to keep him awake, trust me. I think he's just a very lazy feeder. You put a bottle in his mouth though and he's like a totally different baby!

Oh and I forgot to reply about the pump. I had rented a Symphony awhile back at suggestion of the LC to try to increase my supply more. The first thing I noticed was how incredibly quiet it was! I find that this pump is so much more comfortable than my Medela double. I had only planned on using it for maybe a month to see what I could do with my supply, but after using it, the monthly cost is so worth the comfort and noise reduction that it provides.

I would assume that they can still hear the pump on conference calls but I'm not too concerned about it. You should hear the background noise that other people have at times!!!

I'm happy to announce that I have been pumping 19-19.5oz pretty continuously now and yesterday I pumped 20oz! That 20oz put me in the "normal" range!! I guess that means I'm still increasing!

I seem to get a really good day, then I regress for a few days. So I expect I'll probably drop down to 18oz today. Then I normally work back up slowly but stay at that new number, then get a random big day again, and start all over.

Even if I don't get 20oz again today, it's exciting to have hit that mark for the first time!

Awesome news, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's great!!!