Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping 20 percentiles?

Default Dropping 20 percentiles?

My baby weighed 14 lbs. 8 oz at his 4 month visit, February 24. Today he had his 6 month visit and weighed 15 lbs. 15 oz. He went from 37% to 17%. Is that alarming? Doctor was completely unconcerned about it but this just doesn't sound right to me. Ok, so he IS very active, like he's crawling all across the kitchen floor on his stomach and he turns over every few minutes while playing... but this drop in percentiles just scared me.

Default Re: Dropping 20 percentiles?

My daughter went from 50% to 25% between 9 and 12 months. Since she had been between 48% and 60% from birth they had us do a weight check about a month after the appointment. Told us as long as she was gaining something (she only gained a few ounces) it was fine. Just to make sure she wasn't starting a trend of losing weight.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

It doesn't sound alarming to me. All my babies dramatically dropped percentiles in just the same time interval, but then continued growing along a lower curve. I think it's common for breastfed babies especially to grow faster in the beginning and then slow down. As you've noticed baby is a lot more active now. Also, which chart is your doctor using, CDC or WHO? I think that's actually great that your doctor did not freak about it. (With one of my babies the doctor started asking me all kinds of questions like, "Did you go on a diet?" when this happened.) That said, if you're concerned about weight, it never hurts to offer baby the breast more frequently!

Thanks, both of you, for the reassurance. I was actually surprised my doctor wasn't taken aback but now I'm glad he didn't! I guess I just worried because all my friends' babies who are breastfed and around the same age as him are just much bigger. My husband and I are both tall and on the thinner side so I guess it makes sense for our baby to be that way too (he is 27" tall!).

Tall, thin people tend to have tall, thin babies.

FTR, my girls dropped a similar number of percentiles between 4 and 6 months. They were around 95-99% at 4 months and around 75-85% at 6 months.