Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! my milk is less every day

Default Help! my milk is less every day

Hi All,
    I have a 3 month old son and I have been back to work for about a month now, i usually pump 2 times at work, i only have a manual pump and i cant afford an electric one right now.
    The first 2 weeks i was getting about 5 to 6 Oz every time i pumped but now im barely getting 2 or 3 Oz. At home i breastfeed as much as i can, we have about 2 or 3 night time sessions. I dont know what im doing wrong or what i can do to avoid mi milk from decreassing, before i got to work i had a lot of milk and now i feel is less and less every day!

Default Re: Help! my milk is less every day

Hi mama,
    It's hard to maintain supply with pumping, it's just not the same as baby nursing at the breast. How long is your workday? Pumping 2 times for a full-day job for most moms is not enough to maintain supply, especially if you are relying on a manual pump. Is there any way you can add more pumping sessions in? Do you live in the U.S.? Do you have health insurance? If so, most insurance plans cover an electric breast pump, so that would be something to look into.

Many moms start off with a relative oversupply early on - nature's way of making sure baby gets enough milk. Over time that oversupply subsides. Pumping 5 or 6 oz is actually on the high side, it's not unusual for a mom to get 2 or 3 oz at a time. In that case, though, mom needs to pump more frequently to match baby's needs.

Also, how much milk is baby drinking during the day?

I work in a WIC office and we have double electric pumps for our moms. Do you know if you can qualify for WIC? Maybe you could get a pump that way??
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012

with the PPs. Most likely what you need is to pump more and to use a better pump. If WIC or your health insurance aren't options for getting a better pump, I suggest calling your local La Leche League. They might know of a resource in your area. Officially, most pumps are supposed to be single user devices and LLL doesn't arrange for moms to share used pumps. But unofficially, lightly used pumps do change hands in the parking lot after the meeting is over.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for your suggestions, im working right now 8 hrs in the day and i only get 2 brakes of 30 min to pump each day by law. Im in Mexico and as far as i have researched i cant find any electric pumps here, i will try getting in contact with local LLL to see if i can get some help from them, i had the feeling that that was one of my issues but i really cant afford a better one right now

Okay, so you're allowed to pump 60 minutes per day. Usually frequency can help boost supply a bit more than duration. So maybe think about whether you could get more supply stimulation with three 20 minute breaks, for example. Also, since you're using a manual pump - how about some quick 5 minute bathroom breaks and a little pumping during that time? I don't normally suggest pumping in the bathroom but if that's what it takes...

Any possibility baby could come to you during the day to nurse? And definitely keep doing lots and lots of nursing when you are together with baby!

I, too, was just going to suggest short bathroom sessions if you absolutely have no other alternative. More frequent, shorter sessions always worked better for me than a few longer ones if I was forced to choose between the two!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I'm having this same problem. When I first went back to work I was getting 3-4 ounces, baby is 3.5 months, been back at work a month. I have two different electric pumps, so I don't know what the problem is. I'm pumping 4-5 times a day and get maybe 2 ounces each time. I just started taking fenugreek capsules. Hopefully it helps.

Is baby sleeping a long stretch at night?

I did some research last night. Think in my case I might need to get different size flanges/shields for my pumps.