Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush Help

Default Thrush Help

Hello

I really need some advice.

The last two weeks I have had a severe thrush infection I am on fluconazole and my DS is on Daktarin also changing pads regularly and airing the area when possible. My nipples are both covered in cracks and I am now no longer feeding and am struggling to express as the cracks kept reopening and I think this is why the thrush is not going.

The pain is unbearable and I am beginning to think I would be better stopping all BF and expressing until the cracks have healed and then go through a process of relactation. I have low supply as it is so my DS was receiving bottles already however I would like to provide some milk in the long term.

What should I do?

Default Re: Thrush Help

Are you using anything topically on your nipples, like Dr. Newman's all-purpose nipple ointment? http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...apno&Itemid=17 Getting a script for that would be a good place to start - it has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic components that should help. When I had thrush, I used diluted grapefruit seed extract on my nipples to help get rid of the thrush -that made them a little bit more dry and flaky, so I used pure vitamin E oil and that helped (just make sure you wipe it off before nursing your LO -overdosing on vitamin E can be toxic). Coconut oil is also really soothing and doesn't need to be wiped off.

with the PP.

If you want to continue breastfeeding, the best thing to do is to not quit. I know thrush pain can be very severe, but it's going to be much easier, in the long run, to keep on making milk than to allow yourself to dry up and then relactate. Also, if you want to keep on nursing (as opposed to providing milk via pump and bottle), it is much better to keep the baby on the breast. Babies who are mostly or exclusively bottlefed often come to reject the breast. The more bottles they get and the longer they get them for, the more likely it is that they will refuse to go back to nursing. Sorry, I know that's probably not what you want to hear!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your quick responses.

I fed through mastitis and my first bout of thrush however this time I physically can't deal with the pain I have tried but there are so many cracks on each nipple and every time he latches or I try to express they open and bleed and between feeds the pain radiates for hours. Painkillers have not taken the edge off it and I am at a loss as to what else to do.

Initially I was using clotrimazole however the doctor told me to stop using it so I have not been applying anything to the nipple area just keeping them clean and dry. The ointment you mention is not available where I am although I could try the grapefruit seed extract and coconut oil. I had been reluctant to put anything else on them incase it encouraged the thrush.

I am so sorry, mama. That sounds just awful, and I can completely understand why you do not want to nurse right now. I stand by my advice, though. Not nursing now means risking your ability to nurse in the future. Nursing even as little as just once per day increases the chances of you being able to go back to breastfeeding when the thrush is gone. I'm not telling you that you have to nurse- this is such a personal choice and I would completely understand if you feel unable to continue. But if you can keep your options open, I think it's worth doing.

Are you being really rigorous with your hygiene? Changing bras, towels, shirts, and burp cloths daily and washing them on hot? Drying them in the sun and doing a vinegar rinse in your wash would also help kill any residual yeast. A yeast-fighting diet is also a good idea- skip the simple sugars, eat lots of probiotic foods like yogurt and kim chi, avoid white rice and bread.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I really appreciate your advice and support.

Yes I have been obsessive about hygiene changing pads with every feed, different burp cloth/bib at each feed and changing clothes every day. I have even hot washed the breast feeding cushion. Not really the weather for hanging clothes out here atm however washing on the highest heat setting and dishwashing then sterilising all baby bottles and soothers.

I tried to follow your advice yesterday and spent some time trying to get him to latch on and he just wouldn't resulting in both of us in tears. At the moment I am too sore and too upset to approach it calmly so I am going to focus on clearing the infection and then work on bringing him back to the breast and if it doesn't work I still have a gorgeous boy who I adore.

Today I will order the grapefruit seed extract and will start adding vinegar to the laundry rinse.

The thrush seems to be clearing although I am going to keep up the treatment for longer to make sure.

What I want to know is if there is anything I can do to treat the dry cracked skin? I am worried about putting the coconut oil or other treatment on incase it encourages the thrush to flourish.

Glad to hear that things are starting to get better! I don't know that coconut oil encourages thrush - from what I've read, a lot of people use it to help treat thrush (I used it and I don't think it made anything worse). But if you don't want to chance it, you could try pure vitamin E oil for your cracked nipples - as I mentioned above, you just have to make sure you wipe it off before nursing. Olive oil can also be used. Best of luck, mama!

Sorry it is hard to explain in text. What I meant was I was concerned about using anything that would keep the area moist as that it the conditions that thrush thrives in. However if those things you mentioned are proven not to increase thrush then I will certainly give them a go I am just so cautious about doing anything that will bring it back/make it worse.