Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning 15mo before #2 arrives

Default weaning 15mo before #2 arrives

After getting over some issues in the first month, my daughter and I have had a perfectly lovely nursing relationship. She is 15.5 months now, and baby #2 is due at the end of July. She eats solids pretty much non-stop and drinks a lot of water. She's not nursing to sleep at night or for her nap, but in the afternoon she still wants to nurse all the time. She has been sick and has four teeth coming in, so I haven't been trying to refuse. Over this past weekend, when my husband was home to distract her, she didn't nurse at all (my choice, I'm sure she would have if I'd been more accessible).

I don't really know what my question is, but I am becoming frustrated with the situation. I would like to have her fully weaned well before #2, but I'm not sure how (even more) gradual weaning will work with her, and when it is just the two of us (which is most of the time) I don't have the energy to distract her when ALL she wants is to nurse.

She's a toddler, so she wants all sorts of things she can't have, and I don't want to add needlessly to her frustration or anxiety, but I don't see any end in sight, and I would really like to! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :o)

Default Re: weaning 15mo before #2 arrives

Are you ready to wean because you're not enjoying nursing anymore, or are you thinking that you need to wean before the second baby is born, due to the possible difficulty of nursing 2 kids at once? The reason I ask is that if nursing is generally working for you and you're not hating it, you might want to keep doing it even if it means tandeming when baby #2 arrives. Clearly this is going to be a rather difficult time at which to wean... Which is not to say that it can't be done!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A little of both. I would like some time without a baby attached to me, and her *technique* and manners have gotten pretty bad, except when she is super tired. It is certainly easiest to just "give in" and nurse when she asks, which makes me think it will continue to be the best option )
    I'm just intimidated by tandem nursing, and worried about how she'll deal with another baby in her place, if she is still so attached to nursing in a few months.

You might want to check out the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"- maybe that would make the prospect less intimidating?

If you decide to wean, the best way to go about it is with kindness, patience, communication, consistency, and persistence. Here are some things to try:
    - When you don't want to nurse, communicate: excuses like "My breasts are tired" or "My breasts are ouchie right now" work well. Avoid the "We need to save the milk for the baby" excuse because that just sets up potential jealousy.
    - Try a countdown to shorten up a nursing session- I did a lot of "You can nurse until I count to 10" when I was in the weaning process.
    - Don't be afraid to set limits. It's okay to ban annoying behaviors, to set time limits, and to put your LO off until later.
    - Offer lots of snacks and sippy cups. Nursing toddlers are often genuinely hungry/thirsty.
    - Enlist help from grandma and dad and friends- the more someone else is handling the pressured, tired, cranky times of day, the more likely it is that you'll be able to duck out on nursing.
    - Distraction! If you can be out and about during the most frequent nursing times, your LO will likely forget to nurse. I know that's tough to manage when you're tired and pregnant!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the info. I think I will just try to relax, that has helped the most so far

If she's being sloppy with her latch, okay to take her off and say, "Open your mouth wide" etc.