Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice

Default Need advice

My baby boy is 8 months old. He goes to daycare 5 days a week. While he is at daycare he drinks a total of 8 onces of breastmilk and he eats solids while he is at daycare. When we are at home I only nurse I don't give him any solids. He still wakes frequently at night about every two hours. On the weekends I nurse on demand and I don't give any solids on the weekend. When I am at work I pump 3 times. I am at work for 8 hours. I pump for 10 minutes and then I hand express . I have always pumped enough for the next day plus a little extra. Well I noticed last week that I was just not pumping enough. So I bought new membranes and other pump parts. But when I pumped this morning my output was down awful. Is this normal? I know your milk regulates after a while, but I assumed mine was already regulated since my baby is 8 months old. Also, I have had a few people tell me I need to feed him solids at home too. But he seems satisfied with just nursing. I am afraid if I give him to many solids that my milk will decrease too much. My goal is to nurse to at least one year. I hope I can go longer than that.

One more piece of information. I have also heard that your milk supply can decrease a little when you are fertile each month. I still haven't had a period, but last week I had symptoms of ovulating. If I was ovulating could this be a reason my milk supply is lower.

Default Re: Need advice

A "pump slump" when baby is around 8-9 months old is very normal for pumping moms. You may have to fit in another pumping session or lengthen what you are already doing. I was over-producing up until 9 months, then all of a sudden I was pumping almost exactly what he was drinking. If I had a bad pumping day I would throw in another session after DS went to bed to get another couple ounces.

And if you don't want to do solids at home yet, don't. If he is getting some at daycare then he is doing fine. Solids don't need to add much to his diet at this age anyway, as long as you keep nursing a bunch while you are together, and it sounds like you are. Solids are more about the experience not the calories right now.

Some moms have milk production fluctuations due to a return of fertility. I never did, so I will let someone else speak to that.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Pump slump is common. That's good that you changed out your parts. 10 minutes of pumping time is on the shorter side, any way you could add a few minutes more to some of your pumping sessions? Even "pumping dry" can help, and a lot of moms get a second letdown if they lengthen the pumping session. And/or adding an additional session, as sassypants suggests.

Actually the thing I was thinking while reading your post, though, is whether your period might be on its way. Every time I've noticed a fairly abrupt and dramatic drop in my supply, my period came a few days later. For me this doesn't happen every cycle though; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - for example, if I'm overly exhausted or sick then I seem to have more of this effect. Anyway, if it is your cycle, then your supply should pick up again within a few days of getting your period.

Your approach to solids is exactly what I did. Definitely encourage nursing when you are together, no need to increase solids at this point. There is plenty of time for that, your baby is still young yet and the most important nutrition for him right now is breastmilk.

Thank you both for the advice. I will lengthen my pump time. The reason I only pump that amount of time is because after 10 min I really don't respond to the pump anymore, but I will extend the time to see if I can get another let down.

Instead of lengthening the time you pump for, you could add another pump session into your day. Increasing frequency is often better than increasing duration- though ideally, you'd do both!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"