Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant rooting

Default Constant rooting

Hello! My two week old and I had a good start to BF, but its gone down hill slowly. Now, he will root incessantly even if the nipple is in his mouth. Sometimes it'll take him two minutes to realize he can stop rooting and latch already! Milk gets everywhere as he's fidgeting. Once latched, he usually nurses fine, but it feels like World War 3 when it happens at 2am.

Mommy Guilt is setting in a bit since I started introducing bottles over the weekend, just one a day, but I can't help but think that has something to do with it. But, he was doing this behavior before the bottles, just not as often.

Any ideas or tips?? Thank you!

Default Re: Constant rooting

Do you want to tell us a bit more about why you've introduced bottles at this point? Your baby is still very young and your breastfeeding relationship is still being established. If nursing is going well then there usually is no need for bottles at this point, and they can disrupt establishing your milk supply and your breastfeeding relationship, even moreso if you are supplementing with formula rather than your expressed milk. In addition, sucking from a bottle is different from sucking from the breast and could be one reason that baby is having some difficulty with latch.

Rooting frequently is in and of itself normal newborn behavior. Here is information about normal newborn nursing:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

with the PP.

Can you try getting your baby to the breast a little earlier? Babies who are already hungry sometimes get so frantic that they forget that latching on and staying latched and sucking is the best way for them to get their needs met. Getting them to the breast before they get close to that frantic stage can help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with pps about the bottles, if that can be held off on a little longer that may help and can't hurt. Also, pumping at this point simply so you can give baby a bottle (rather than because it is needed due to a separation or low milk production) is potentially problematic as well.

If you very much want to continue bottles, or need to, I suggest using paced bottle feeding technique for giving them and keep them small. If they are just 'for practice' they can be less than a half ounce. If they are replacing a nursing session, then 1-3 ounces would be the most normally needed.

This
    Milk gets everywhere as he's fidgeting.
    makes me wonder if what you are seeing is baby reacting to a fast milk flow more so than rooting??? If that makes any sense to you, I would suggest nursing in a more reclined position, (mom leaning back and baby more 'on top' and also nursing with more frequency (assuming baby is willing) and also letting baby come of for a minute, catch the initial flow in a cloth, then put bring baby back to the breast.

But I also agree this is early days. A two week old is still figuring this all out.

mommal said
    Can you try getting your baby to the breast a little earlier? Babies who are already hungry sometimes get so frantic that they forget that latching on and staying latched and sucking is the best way for them to get their needs met. Getting them to the breast before they get close to that frantic stage can help
    If your baby seems to want to nurse more frequently now, or seems more 'frantic' to nurse, or 'hungrier' than he did earlier, that is a very common occurrence. Many babies seem to 'wake up' at around this age and act that way. It is normal and healthy. Yes, nursing frequently at the very earliest cues (or even simply offering even if there is no cue) tends to help with this as a calmer, less frantic baby is more likely to be organized enough to latch well.

Good paced bottle feeding video. Just ignore what she says about the 'usual' time between feedings. There is no usual, especially at this age! No need to space out feedings. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E

more on paced bottle feeding https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thanks for the responses. I had to be away from him for about four hours on Saturday, so he needed a bottle. He's been eating every 1 1/2 to 2hrs during the day. I don't plan on using bottles to replace feelings regularly just yet.

I think I'm pretty good at catching cues, but will admit there have been times I've made him wait because its only been an hour or something. I know that gets me a slap on the wrist, lol. BF has been the biggest source of psychological torment for me, more so than the sleep deprivation!, so the mental battle has been just as taxing as the physical so far.

Oh, okay, that's good that the bottles are not going to be a routine thing. Why are you making him wait because it's only been an hour? Is this a piece of advice you've gotten or something you have read somewhere? Breastfed babies nurse really frequently, especially such a very young baby. Remember his stomach is really tiny, he NEEDS to eat very frequently. Not to mention that baby has spent 9 months in a warm, quiet, dark space listening to your heart beating. The closest thing to that at this point is being on your nice warm skin, drinking nice warm milk and hearing your heart beating.

It is HARD to breastfeed a newborn. I was shocked when I was breastfeeding my first that he was basically at the breast most of the time. Babies are also pretty slow eaters early on so baby will spend 45 minutes on the breast, conk out for half an hour, then wake up again wanting more. Or cluster feed for hours at a time. Normal! The best way to deal with it is set up a comfy nursing station with entertainment at the ready (TV, computer, magazines, books, phone - whatever keeps you occupied), snacks and water within reach, and just be prepared to spend long stretches there. This does not go on forever but in these early weeks nursing is really a full-time job.

Do you want to elaborate on what you mean by "psychological torment"? Perhaps we can offer some specific suggestions....

with the PP. He's too young to wait to nurse. Not only is stretching out the intervals between feedings bad for milk supply, and hard for a baby who is too young to go long without eating, but it's also bad for the problem you're having, the fussiness and difficulty with latching. Making a baby wait is the perfect way to get him into that frantic mode where he just can't remember how to get his needs met even when he has the breast in his mouth. This isn't meant as a slap on the wrist- it's just how it is with a young baby. And believe me, I know it's difficult!

Pease do let us know what is most tormenting for you- maybe we can help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"