Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful latch

Default Painful latch

Hello,
    I recently posted about my LO (8 mo) eating more frequently and 'chomping' down on me. Unfortunately my left side ended up damaged with a blood blister that I think I've been able to repair. He's not so much biting as his teeth are scraping because I don't think his mouth is open wide enough. Here's what I've done so far. Please let me know if there are any other tricks that I can try to avoid such a painful latch. I'm starting to pull away from him because of what I know is coming and I hate that. The good news is that the pain goes away while nursing but I don't want to make any more damage from here on out.

Moved nursing sessions to a quiet place to avoid 'tearing' off at a distraction
    Used a warm compress and bm to heal the damage
    Using olive oil to keep area moist
    Pushing him into me to unlatch
    Trying to teach him to 'open wide' but that's not working yet

Thanks!

Default Re: Painful latch

Hey There's a few things you can do... The simplest is to stroke from the base of their nose to the bottom of their chin with your nipple to get them to open wide, or stroking their cheek can help too. You can do this a few times and then latch on, or practise getting them on quick while it's open. Combining this with the 'flipple' (you tube it )can be helpful. It does take practice and the flipple can cause you to squirt so beware of passers by. The flipple on it's own is good too.

Making your breast into a 'sandwich' by holding your breast in a c/u with your hand -like if you were to hand express but further up so your hand is against your body with the 'thin' part you made in the direction of their mouth.

'Laid back/biological nurturing' type positions may help too as it puts gravity on your side.

Be willing to latch if it's wrong and re-latch; esp if it hurts while they are on. If your lo is 8 months I'm guessing they've got lazy over time and just need a bit of a reminder.

This link might help too. (it did us!)

https://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstat...dept_id=3228on

Ahh thanks a lot!! Yes we have been totally fine up until now with no issues, or up until so many teeth, lol. I will be trying what you suggest tonight for sure. Thank you!!

Ok well I was able to get a much better latch however the side that had the blood blister then got clogged. I worked out the clog but am left with an extremely sore left breast. There is one specific spot that is tender to the touch. I wouldn't say its all that warm and I otherwise feel fine so I don't think its mastitis but I really don't want anything to turn into that. I tried a nipple shield to see if the wore area would heal but that didn't work. Just using a warm compress and some olive oil in between nursings. Is it possible to have mastitis with just a tender spot and pain while nursing but no other symptoms? Even with a good latch that side hurts the whole time he nurses. Let me know what others would do. Perhaps I need to grin a bear it and hope it will go away in a few days.

Have you tried bringing baby to the breast from a completely different angle? When my daughter was about 8 months, she bit me but good, and while it healed I figured out that if I more or less laid down, and pulled her to the breast over my shoulder, that pretty much reversed her latch and made nursing bearable while the injury healed.

I am not sure if what you are describing is a plug or a bleb, but if it is, here are several good tips. https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...plugsblebs.pdf The one where you lay baby on his back and kneel over baby to nurse recently seemed to help me a lot when I had a sore breast with no obvious plug. In my case I did develop chills, aches and fever and was treated with abs. But my breast remained sore until I started to manipulate/massage my breast (moving it around like a bag of marbles) and did that kneeling over baby thing. (which greatly amused my daughter who is now 20 months) That would be another way to re-align baby's latch as well, come to think of it.

oh and according to this you can have mastitis w/o fever https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

Hi, thank you for the feedback. I think I definitely had a plug and a milk blister following a blood blister. I now am about 85% better but still have one very tender spot that is uncomfortable to nurse with but I'm hoping it only continues to get better. I have been doing the massage as you suggested, warm compresses before nursing (with Epsom salt sometimes) and then ice after. Took ibuprofen once but don't think that will be necessary again. He seems to be annoyed when I try to change up the position but I will see what I can do with the 'dangling' method tomorrow. Appreciate the ear and the advice. Here's hoping a week from now things are back to normal.