Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to tell the difference between oversupply and reflux ?!!

Default How to tell the difference between oversupply and reflux ?!!

My DD will be 7 weeks old tomorrow morning. I BF her since birth, and she has gone from 8 lb 2.5 oz to a bit more than 11lb. She was diagnosed with reflux early on as she was spitting milk hours after feeding and is now treated with zantac and motilium (awfully massive doses).
    However, those medics do not seem to have the slightest effect on her worst symptom, which is that she is restless in between feeds and barely sleeps at all during the day. I read elsewhere that this could be caused by an excessive amount of foremilk and I am starting to wonder if reflux has not been diagnosed a bit quickly... I have read the documents on both reflux and oversupply, but my LO seems to exhibit only the symptoms that are common to the two conditions: spitting, restlessness between feeds... and I still feel unable to tell the difference.
    So I wonder if other mothers had had to distinguish between reflux and oversupply and how they had done it...

Default Re: How to tell the difference between oversupply and reflux ?!!

thats a great question!
    I think theres a page on kelly moms that talks about how to tell the difference.
    If you don't like what your doctor says Its ok to talk to somebody else about it. I think most are not trained in treating babies with problems.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#normal

from that link
    Warning signs of severe reflux:

Inconsolable or severe fussiness or crying associated with feedings.
    Poor weight gain, weight loss, or failure to thrive. Difficulty eating. Breast/food refusal.
    Difficulty swallowing, sore throat, hoarseness, chronic nasal/sinus congestion, chronic sinus/ear infections.
    Spitting up blood or green/yellow fluid.
    Sandifer’s syndrome: Baby may ‘posture’ and arch the neck & back to relieve reflux pain--this lengthens the esophagus and reduces discomfort.
    Breathing problems: bronchitis, wheezing, chronic cough, pneumonia, asthma, aspiration, apnea, cyanosis

heres a link about over supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    it shows some feeding positons. And other hints.

I had oversupply and my lo learned to pop off just as I let down and then get back on, which helped her avoid tummy aches. When she popped off, she didn't really arch her back or seem to be in any pain. And when she spit up, it was a large amount and she didn't seem to care much about that either. It won't hurt to try staying on one side longer - I kept her on one side for four hours then switched to the other side for four hours and so on.. It did the trick.

DD had reflux and I had slightly overactive letdown. The real tell-tale sign that it was reflux that was causing all the problems were the hoarseness/sore throat, arching back, difficulty nursing and the fact that you could not lay her down. At all.

Even though OALD can cause a baby to fuss and pop off, generally once the let down has happened and the milk isn't coming so forcefully, the baby will nurse pretty normally. Our DD still couldn't because it was too uncomfortable for her. She also was quite clearly in pain when we'd lay her down. She never spat up, though, interestingly. Just when we would lay her down, the stomach acids were irritating her little throat.

I haven't read about excessive amts of foremilk causing restlessness. How are you dealing with her not sleeping? Are you trying to soothe her or wear her to try to get her to sleep? Is she sleeping at night? Is she not sleeping because of the transfer from arms to bed? Tell us more!

Thanks for your replies, I hadn't seen them
    Well, the thing is that since she is treated for reflux roughly since she is one week old, she has never really displayed those severe reflux symptoms. She used to spit up milk hours after feedings and cried, wanted to feed all the time, and it seemed to be a vicious circle...

So, now that she is on Zantac, she sleeps well at night: between 5 and 8 hours in a row, than another 3 hours (unless she has already slept 8 hours ). Usually, she is awakened by nasty gasses that make her grunt and squirm, but I guess that's pretty usual for a 2 month old.
    But then, during the day, she just does not seem to be able to find sleep... Her main symptom is that she squirms after each feeding, during 30-45 minutes. She does not cry but seems so unconfortable... And of course, she does not sleep... She never falls asleep nursing, or if she does, she is awakened by a little "crisis" within minutes. And yes, I have a very hard time burping her. It's like mission impossible. Then, eventually, she tries to sleep but keeps on waking because something is going on somewhere in her digestive tract (I don't know where... ) Sometimes, walking her around works, sometimes not... I'd like to wear her but she is so restless that we end up "fighting" inside the wrap and I usually give up. I have ordered a simpler carrier and I'm checking the postbox every morning... The sad thing at the moment is that we reach 12 hours / 24 on good days. It's not much for such a small girl...

Sorry I've been so long... I guess I'm still hoping that it is not reflux... It would be so much easier if it was something I could take care of by altering my breastfeeding habits! And at the same time, I have to accept that it is probably reflux... Oh well...

Well, my baby was pretty gassy and spit up a lot and her bowel movements... those were funny because she'd work so hard at them... like she was giving birth or something... and we'd laugh because it was all liquid, of course. She grunted a LOT. All day. It just faded away - I think between 3 and 5 months. I assume you don't want your kid on any more drugs, but you could try infant gas drops. Never worked for dd, she just needed to grow out of it. She did nap better than your baby, but only on my lap. Can zantac interfere with sleep? My pediatrician told me that the shape of the stomach in infants is different than the shape of adults and things come up all the time until it matures. It seems like she WAS diagnosed pretty quickly. But I'm no doctor.