Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Formula

Default Emergency Formula

Anyone ever been asked by their daycare to supply "emergency formula". I'm trying to fathom why such a thing would be necessary. I'm headed back to work in June and will be sending pumped milk for his feedings. I wish I could freeze dry my own milk as I am gluten, dairy and soy free. If i do send something, tempted to send nutramigen so he'll have no interest in eating it.

Default Re: Emergency Formula

If you want to know why emergency formula is necessary, ask the daycare. Most likely, they want something on hand to feed your baby if they run out of milk- for example, if your baby eats everything you send and still wants more, or if they accidentally spill all your milk. But it makes sense to question them closely about this- for example, how often do they use "emergency" formula? Do most of their breastfed babies eventually get some formula? Are they knowledgeable about the amounts breastfed babies tend to eat, and about paced feeding techniques? Does your "emergency" fallback have to be formula, or can you send an extra bag of frozen milk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. In my mind, since I am an only a 15 min call away - the only acceptable emergencies are weather, police lockdown, car accident, etc. I will question them closely.

And if you're only 15 minutes away and willing to drop everything and run over if the milk runs out, there's probably even less need for the emergency formula. I can see the usefulness of formula in a true emergency, as you describe- but in general, I'd expect that can to stay unopened!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal!

My oldest was in two daycares, neither asked for emergency formula, nor did I provide it. Does your daycare have a freezer? If you are providing mostly fresh milk to baby, giving the daycare 3 or 4 oz of frozen milk to keep as a backup seems reasonable. Just make sure to have them thaw and use it before it outlives its shelf life, and replace with new frozen milk.

My babies were never in day care but even my NICU was a few minutes away and they knew they could call if they ran out of milk in the middle of the night. I wouldn't give them formula and tell them it's not an acceptable food for your child. I would be so livid if someone gave my babies formula.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Maybe you can them that if you really were not able to get to your baby and he was in danger of going hungry, you will send over a lactating friend.

If you send pre-measured bottles there is little to no risk of a spill, so I see no need for emergency back up. Two daycares we have been to have never insisted on having back up on hand. One completely refused to keep milk or formula on site overnight and the other said it was an option to send extra frozen milk if we wanted and they provided back up formula for parents that wanted that.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I agree with everything that's been said. I've got a call into the center and will keep you posted.