Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct

Default plugged duct

I have multiple plugged ducts under my breast from wearing an underwire bra for a few days (I won't make that mistake again), and I can't seem to get rid of them. I feel like it's getting worse, is there any certain nursing position that might help drain them?
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: plugged duct

Try getting a hot shower before nursing (running water on those areas) to help the milk flow. If you can massage the lumps while your baby nurses this also helps. You can also try hand-expressing and paying special attention to the plugged areas. If your skin starts to look red (not from massaging, but bright red), you should see your doctor (it could be mastitis and they may prescribe antibiotics). Good Luck!

how are things going now, Karrieperry? I know this post is a few days old- I'm sorry we missed it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh, I didn't see this post either. One position that has worked for me for plugged ducts is getting on all fours and letting the breast dangle into baby's mouth. (My husband finds this amusing, and your girls might too, but it can be very effective!). Even a bra that is slightly constricting can bring on a plugged duct in me - I bought some new non-underwire bras but found there's really only one I can wear, on the day that I wash it I end up wearing an old night nursing bra which is hardly even a bra. Argh, plugs!

Thanks for responding, the plugs seem like they are always there but no mastitis as of right now. I've had that twice so I would definitely know if I were sick. It did look pretty red but it's not red anymore. I will try the dangle feeding idea, I'm sure my daughter would think it was a hilarious game. It's so frustrating about the bras...I also have just one that I can wear. I get plugs all the time but it's always been that way from the start, probably because I have one breast that is 99% of the milk supply.

The last two weeks I had plugs again after being plug-free for a while - and my LO is now two. I thought by now I would be done with all that. Anyway. The other thing I do is go bra-free when I'm at home. I guess it depends on how comfortable or not that is (my breasts are not that large, so I'm okay without the support). It also makes it easier when LO wants a quick drive-by nursing session!

I know, it stinks to be someone who gets plugs all the time. Same here, I skip the bra sometimes because I am just so sick of the whole bra situation.

Motherhood maternity has a nursing bra that I use for sleeping that is great for nursing and wearing around the house. I am larger chested and the only time I do not wear a bra is in the shower. I wear this one pretty much whenever I am at home.
    http://www.motherhood.com/Product.as...tegory_Id=MC13
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in