Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD Advice Please

Default OALD Advice Please

My baby is 3 weeks old today and she has been spitting up a lot, has been gassy, and fussier than normal. I took her to the pediatrician today and they said it's not reflux and she is gaining weight well. I know I have overactive letdown and high lipase; I did with my son as well. I'm afraid the OALD may be causing the gas and spitting up because she gulps air during letdown. The pediatrician a advice was to pump before each feeding. But I don't want to have to do that. I exclusively pumped with my son pretty much from the time he was 6 weeks old and I'm just not that excited to chain myself to the pump for the next year. Plus, I don't think that it will really be very practical to pump before rah feeding when I'm out and about. I have been trying to unlatch her before letdown, and relatch when I stop spraying. That seems to reduce the gulping. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Default Re: OALD Advice Please

Hi I completely agree with you that pumping before nursing is probably the most difficult way to deal with forceful letdown. Of course for some moms it does seem to help, however the risk is of course that you actually increase your milk production which you don't want to do, and of course it also sounds like a tremendous pain. I've had forceful letdown with all my kids here is what worked for me. Nursing very frequently. Very very very frequently. This meant offering as well as Q feeding. This also meant with one of my kids actually waking up a few times at night with an alarm in order to nurse or often. The other thing that helped a great deal was nursing in a leaning back position this is called laid-back breast-feeding or biological nurturing. If you search those terms you will find lots of pictures and information about it online. This is a position technique that you play around with and find what works best for you and your baby there are not a lot of hard and fast rules about it.
    Remember you only need to nurse one side at a time, if baby really wants the other side that's fine but there is no reason to make baby nurse both sides at a time in most cases.
    If you're feeling really full and know that the letdown is going to be too much for baby to handle, you can try hand expressing just a little bit into a towel before putting baby on. But like you I also found that having baby nurse a bit and start the letdown taking baby off and putting baby back on was the easiest way to deal with that particular situation.

With your comment about lipase do you mean lipase or do you mean lactose? Fast letdown may cause an overabundance of lactose in what baby drinks which is what may make the milk a little bit more difficult for baby to digest, causing some discomfort, green poops that kind of thing. It does not make the milk in any way bad for baby or cause any medical issues. Nursing can continue and it is not going to hurt your baby to get the lactose heavy milk at the beginning of the feeding. So if that is why your doctor is suggesting pumping before every feeding you can rest assured it is not necessary for that reason.
    Lipase is something that occurs naturally in all breastmilk some mothers seem to have an overabundance of it and when that milk is expressed and then stored (usually if it is frozen) it can give milk a soapy taste when thawed. Some babies refuse to drink this milk, but again it actually is not harmful in any way to a baby.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 25th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Thank you for your help! We usually nurse every two to three hours around the clock, although more often if she wants. I usually only offer one side per feeding unless she is still hungry and wants the second side. And yes, I meant lipase, unfortunately. I didn't discover it with my son until I already had about 800 ounces frozen, and he refused to take any of it because it all tasted soapy and smelled rancid. I mentioned it because I didn't know if there was any correlation between high lipase and spitting up. My milk stays 'good' in the fridge for 3 days, and in the freezer for about 2 weeks before it turns soapy.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Oh ok. no, as far as I am aware excess lipase does not cause any issues at the breast, nor am I aware of it causing spitting up if given via bottle, although if baby dislikes the taste they may spit it out! The only issue (and yes it is a very frustrating one!) is that some babies refuse to drink the soapy smelling/tasting expressed milk. Strangely it does not bother some babies in the least. You are lucky at least that you can store your milk for some time without issue!

btw are you pumping now with the new baby? Or just nursing? If you have oald you might want to hold off on pumping any extra for a bit as pumping gives your body the wrong message.

While your nursing frequency sounds fine for the average circumstance, I suggest try offering the breast just a bit more often, especially if you start feeling full. The less time between feedings, the less buildup of milk in the breasts, and that means less of the high lactose 'foremilk' into baby. This is why frequent nursing helps almost immediately if baby is having gastrointestinal discomfort due to oald. This period of time is when milk production is really ramping up, and many moms make a bit more than is needed during this time causing the forceful letdown. This typically resolves in just a few weeks.

I will try offering the breast more frequently. I only pump once per day right now, and that's only because she is getting a bottle of expressed milk once per day to help her get used to it for when I go back to work. So I pump during the session that she bottle feeds. And I don't actually empty the breast when I pump because I get more than she takes in one session pretty quickly. I bet it takes me only 5-10 without massage to get 3-4 ounces. And I don't want oversupply! Thank you again.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author

OK sounds like you have a good plan. That is a big pump output!