Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ADD Medication and Breastfeeding

Default ADD Medication and Breastfeeding

I stopped taking Adderrall a month before I conceived. I have been off of it since and my baby is now four months old. I am starting to have difficulty focusing, concentrating, getting things done and it's interfering with my daily routine anymore. I am thinking about starting my Adderrall again. I ran it past my pediatrician and he didn't think it would be a problem. I work 8-5 and nurse my baby before work and when I get home from work if she is hungry. I nurse her again around 8 pm before she goes to bed. I also pump twice at work.

My friend who started her ADD medication when she was breastfeeding her four month old had a decrease in milk supply. She also said her breasts felt deflated and her hair started to fall out. Is there a relation between this medication drying milk supply up/interfering with hormone balance? I have a gracious milk supply presently and don't want to lose it.

Default Re: ADD Medication and Breastfeeding

InfantRisk is a great resource for medication questions, they have a number you can call:
    www.infantrisk.com

Default Re: ADD Medication and Breastfeeding

with the Infant Risk recommendation.

I just want to add that your friend's experience with "deflated" breasts and hair loss was probably entirely normal and had nothing to do with the medications she was taking.

First, the deflation. Most women start out making more milk than their babies need; it's nature's way of making sure the baby gets fed while mastering the tricky art of breastfeeding. But after a few weeks or months of nursing, milk supply tends to adjust so that a mom makes more or less exactly what her baby needs, and when that adjustment takes place, it's normal for a woman's breasts to go from feeling full to feeling deflated. It doesn't mean her milk has dried up or is drying up. Rather, it means that her milk supply is on par with the baby's needs.

Second, hair loss is entirely normal in the postpartum year. During pregnancy, you don't shed. This is why pregnant women are often complimented on their full and lustrous hair! But within a few months of giving birth, your hair goes back to its normal shedding pattern and you lose not only your normal amount of hair but also all the hair you didn't shed during pregnancy! This is why a lot of moms get nice short haircuts within a few months of having their babies.

It sounds like you're nursing 2-3 times a day and pumping twice, correct? If so, that's a very low frequency for nursing and pumping. Most exclusively breastfed babies who are home with their moms nurse at least 8 times a day, and most of them go through phases of more frequent nursing when an increase in supply is required. If you find that your pump output is slumping, I would start by nursing more and adding in another pump session during the workday (if possible).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"