Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump life

Default Pump life

I have a Medela PISA that I used with DS about 5 times a day for a year (2011-2012). It still functions, but I am not sure if it'll really do a good job this time. I go back to work in about a month. I asked Medela, but didn't get a good answer (they only told me about the warranty, which wasn't my question). Does anyone have experience with the life of a Medela motor?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Pump life

I used my PISA when pumping for my oldest for about 9 months (I went back to work at three months). Then I used it sporadically for my second baby (I was primarily using the Freestyle with her, though the PISA is a better pump, in my experience). For the third baby I went back to the same PISA as my workhorse pump, with that baby I went back to work at 6 weeks and then used it routinely until she was a year, and then sporadically since then (for example on trips). It is still working 7 years later! That said, I'm sure it varies from pump to pump. Have you started building up your stash yet? I guess you could see how it is working, and if it seems to be working, continue to use, but just be vigilant - if you notice your pump output starting to drop off, it might be time to get a new one. Also make sure you change out membranes, valves and flanges.

I am kind of in the same situation, where I have my old PISA that I used regularly for about 10 months and I wasn't sure how it would last for baby #2. My insurance covered a new pump so I went for it. Does your insurance cover breast pumps? Most do now, so maybe you could ask. Even if it isn't as nice as your PISA, at least you will have a back up on hand.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Have you started building up your stash yet? I guess you could see how it is working, and if it seems to be working, continue to use, but just be vigilant - if you notice your pump output starting to drop off, it might be time to get a new one. Also make sure you change out membranes, valves and flanges.
    I tried it once last week for maybe 7 minutes and pumped 3 ounces. With DS, I had low supply issues and got about 3 ounces in a 20 minute session, so I think the pump is okay? I'm not really sure what my output should be. I guess I can wait and see what I pump during the day at work. I don't think I'm going to work on a stash... not sure the benefit.

Didn't think about new flanges. Those need to be replaced too? Thanks!
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Does your insurance cover breast pumps? Most do now, so maybe you could ask. Even if it isn't as nice as your PISA, at least you will have a back up on hand.
    Oh I didn't think of that! I'll find out. Thanks!
    ~ Megan

I can't really say about the newer PISA but I can say an old old model I tried to use definitely had problems and caused me much pain, I couldn't get the suction adjustment to turn down enough not to hurt me. So even if the motor still works, test it out to make sure it doesn't seem to be malfunctioning in any other way before you decide to depend on it full time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    I don't think I'm going to work on a stash... not sure the benefit.

Didn't think about new flanges. Those need to be replaced too? Thanks!
    I just meant your day 1 stash, wasn't trying to imply that you should be pumping a ton! I think the flanges can get little cracks and such in them. But I think the insurance idea sassypants mentions is a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I just meant your day 1 stash, wasn't trying to imply that you should be pumping a ton! I think the flanges can get little cracks and such in them. But I think the insurance idea sassypants mentions is a great one.
    Ohhh right! I actually forgot I would even need some for day 1, haha! I'll probably wait another 2 weeks or so. I am really dreading pumping. :-(

I'll get a new set of flanges just in case. :-)
    ~ Megan

I have an old PISA (given to me by a friend for backup, used once or twice by me) and then a Ameda Purely Yours that I used for over a year pumping at work. I'm actually planning on getting a new Ameda from my insurance (Medela is not a choice), and using the other two for travel and car pumping, as well as backup. I figure the more pumps the better at this point, so if you can get one from insurance you'll be safe.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Why is it that some insurances cover ameda but not medela??