Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 mo on a "partial" strike.

Default 10 mo on a "partial" strike.

Hello. I have a 10 mo fed exclusively with breast milk by nursing or by bottle while I’m at work. Usually he would nurse and fall asleep quietly afterwards or at least stay very calmed and relaxed. But over a month ago, he’s been nursing normally and 5 min later he loses the nipple and starts crying and tries to sit down. I comfort him a little and sometimes he nurses again or I have to change him to the other breast, even though the first one isn’t empty. And every now and then he will only nurse from one breast or not nurse at all. It is kind of a partial strike. At first I thought it may be him teething, but it has been too long now. I can’t think of anything else than has changed.
    Your opinion has been very helpful for me in the past; I hope you can give me some advice.

Default Re: 10 mo on a "partial" strike.

I wonder whether it could be a positional issue? As he's growing perhaps you need to adjust nursing positions a bit? Does this happen at bedtime only or at other times as well? Does he nurse well at night? Sorry I am answering your question with a lot more questions!

Don´t apologize for the questions, I appreciate the help. Well I nurse him in the “traditional” position almost always (stomach to stomach). The situation started at bedtime, but now is happening every time. He doesn’t nurse during the night anymore: he breastfeeds at 9:30, sleeps all night and again at 6 am.
    The only thing I can think of is that since he got his teeth (6 now) I don´t completely relax, because I´m watching him to prevent that he bites me (he has done it a few times); but it´s not like I´m terrified or something.
    Even if he eats just a little, I don’t give him anything else until his next meal, and he doesn´t show hunger or distress after we stand up. It´s like he doesn’t like to breastfeed anymore so he does it only a little, starts crying, and stop when we go some were else or I distract him.
    Maybe he isn´t very hungry anymore because he eats lots of solids during the day? But why doesn´t he enjoys breastfeeding even a little?
    Thank you

So one thing to try would be try some different positions - maybe for whatever reason he doesn't like the traditional position anymore. How much is a lot of solids? Under the age of one breastmilk should be the primary source of nutrition, solids are for getting used to new tastes and textures, and the skills to self-feed. After one, solids gradually become more important from a nutritional standpoint. So while it's great if baby likes his solids, you do want to be careful about him filling up too much with solids, since breastmilk is still the most nutritious food for him at this point. One way to do this is to nurse BEFORE solids (you can also nurse afterwards, of course). Since you work, you could put more emphasis on solids during the day while you apart, and when you are at home together emphasize nursing more - often I would skip solids altogether when my LO was still a baby evenings and weekends.
    In terms of the fear of biting, do you think this is inhibiting letdown? Letdown is very influenced by stress so if you're getting tense when you nurse because you're worried about the biting, perhaps that is inhibiting letdown and then baby gets frustrated because he isn't getting milk? If you think that could be the case, it might help to try relaxation techniques, for example focusing on breathing; or going to a quiet space with some soft music, or whatever can help you relax a bit.