Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time of day?

Default Re: Time of day?

One thing that happens (that I think is pretty cool) is that immune factors increase in concentration as baby gets older - so even as a toddler (for example) is nursing less, he or she is still getting a lot of the good stuff! Here's a link from kelly mom that goes into more details:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/immunefactors/

Lysozyme for example becomes quite a bit more concentrated, but some of the other components don't change as much.

Thanks! That was so interesting to read. Can't believe after combing through Keyllmom several times that I missed this fascinating page!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruchiccio View Post
    I wasn't wondering if it's OK to give. I figure it's fine. But I'm curious as to HOW the milk changes over these 5 months.
    It's 5 months old? That's pretty old unless it's been in deep freeze. In your freezer in your fridge that's getting opened every day I think 3months is the limit. If it's been in deep freeze I'd cycle it in asap.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It's 5 months old? That's pretty old unless it's been in deep freeze. In your freezer in your fridge that's getting opened every day I think 3months is the limit. If it's been in deep freeze I'd cycle it in asap.
    As I said, it's been frozen properly and I am not concerned about its freshness. In a deep freezer it's good till 12 months, optimum at 6 months, according to Kellymom.

So, if I give her "day milk" before bed, will it disrupt her sleep? Or just not add to her sleep? And when does the "night" trigger happen - is that in the middle of the night or at 7 PM? And if I give "night milk" during the day, does that make her sleepy? (That would not be the end of the world, since she doesn't nap -or maybe that explains why some days she naps so much better than others!)

And, I hope 3 months isn't a hard cap for a regular freezer (it's in one of those plastic storage cases in a freezer though). I'm definitely on late December/early January. I'm going to be more hardcore about rotating freezer stash in the next couple of weeks - but we just got over a NASTY stomach bug and I wanted to make sure she had all the current milk/antibodies from that!

This day vs night milk talk is crazy. My daughter has been fussy last couple of nights and not patient for my letdown so I have done a small (~1.5oz) bottle of "day" milk to get her to sleep and then pumped later. These past couple of nights she has been sleeping anywhere from 5-7 hours straight (up from 3 hour stretches). So, the "day" milk didn't disrupt her. What was important was her getting milk before sleep. Don't worry about matching time of day.

I have always heard breastmilk in regular freezer is good 5-6 months, but I personally try to make sure it is cycled out around 3 months. I would still use 6 month old milk though if I found a bag hiding in my freezer.

Don't forget -- babies nap during the day after nursing so that wouldn't make sense for something to be in the milk that would keep them awake. Anything you pump in the day would be the same as the milk you'd nurse with. My LO fell asleep on the same schedule for our sitter with bottles as she did with me nursing -- the bottles at nap time during the week knocked her out as well as nursing did on the weekends.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Day milk vs. night milk sounds like something someone made up in order to make pumping moms' jobs harder than they already are. I really doubt there's any science out there backing this up- if anyone can find any in a peer-reviewed publication, I'll consider changing my mind. But not until then!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

With Mommal on this.

Way too lazy for formula