Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze immediately and reduce lipase impact?

Default Freeze immediately and reduce lipase impact?

I had horrible lipase issues at the end of pumping for my daughter, however she still drank the milk so I was told by several LCs that there was no problem. My son is 4 months and I have to pump for my part time job- I would love to use the milk I pumped the previous work day, but lipase has already affected my milk by then (3 days between my work days). I have been waking up early and pumping like crazy the day of work to have milk for my baby that day and then throwing out what I pumped at work

I was told recently that if I freeze immediately after pumping lipase may not affect my milk. Anyone know about this?! My milk taste soapy and metallic one day after freezing, if I follow my normal procedure (ice pack and fridge after pumping- then once at home freeze).

Microwaving and placing my milk on the stove is uncomfortable for me, I'm afraid all nutrients will be lost.

Any suggestions? Freeze immediately? Supplements? Diet?

Default Re: Freeze immediately and reduce lipase impact?

You could certainly try immediate freezing. You'd just want to use the milk very soon thereafter. Freezing doesn't deactivate lipase the way scalding does. It just slows the activity of the enzyme. This is why lipase is often a problem in stored milk- the enzyme continues to work in the freezer, albeit more slowly than it would in the fridge.

If immediate freezing doesn't work, there's always scalding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried that, no luck. I got a munchkin bottle warmer and I scald at work after each pumping session (I am doing it as I type this, actually). Maybe it will work better for you, but the only way to know is to test it.

Thank you! Lipase is such a pain!!! So the enzyme breaks down faster in warmer temps? If I pump the day OF work should I put the milk in the freezer just in case- I have been pumping, putting it in the fridge and then our caregiver takes out the ounces needed for each feeding (it all gets used that day). Would freezing keep it "better" for my son?

Also, are you sure scalding doesn't "kill" the nutrients in the breast milk- that's my fear of scalding...

And you could use a bottle warmer for this?! Cool!

So the enzyme breaks down faster in warmer temps?
    Yes. All enzymes have a temperature range in which they achieve a maximum rate of reaction. Below that temperature range, the reaction slows down because all the molecules are cold and are therefore less likely to move/interact. Above that temperature range and some of the chemical bonds within the enzyme molecule get broken by excessive heat, making the enzyme ineffective- rather like breaking some of the teeth off of a key would make the key stop working. The latter is why scalding works to stop lipase activity.

If I pump the day OF work should I put the milk in the freezer just in case- I have been pumping, putting it in the fridge and then our caregiver takes out the ounces needed for each feeding (it all gets used that day). Would freezing keep it "better" for my son?
    If the milk is all getting used within a 24 hour time span, there is no need to freeze it unless you have so much lipase that the milk is getting yucky in less than 24 hours.

Also, are you sure scalding doesn't "kill" the nutrients in the breast milk- that's my fear of scalding...
    My understanding is that lipase is one of breastmilk's more delicate components. That's why scalding- which doesn't even bring the milk to the boiling point!- is enough to inactivate it. But the other nutrients in breastmilk- the sugars, the proteins, the fats- are a hardier bunch, and you can't destroy them with such minimal heating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Mommal- you rock with info!!!! I so appreciate everyone on these forums! I tell all new moms about them!

Does anyone know the average time a woman with excessive lipase can freeze and keep milk that wasn't scalded AND it doesn't "go bad"? I just unfroze a bag from 3-6, and it was just fine! I thought mine was bad after a day!!!! Can it vary?

It absolutely varies. Mine turns within just a couple hours and my baby won't have anything to do with it, so I scald at each pumping session. Some moms can just scald when they get home from work. Some don't have to scald at all as long as the milk is being used within a day, sometimes 2.

To scald in a bottle warmer I bought glass baby food jars and cleaned them out, because I hate heating things up in plastic. I fill the water reservoir to the top and crank the timer all the way to 10, then use a food thermometer and turn it off once the milk hits 180F. I tried scalding on the stove and always ended up boiling it because it heated up way too fast.

I have a lipase issue and scald as well. I've tested my milk and in the fridge it's good for about 12-18 hours- once it hits 24 it's usually yucky. I pump at work, so I scald it all at home at night before preparing bottles for the next day. If I plan to freeze, I always scald first. The risk of it turning and my daughter not taking it isn't worth it to me- it's too precious to risk having to dump!! My understanding is with mommal- scalding doesn't destroy all those good nutrients. I take it off the heat as soon as the edges start to bubble.

This thread has references to great research on excess lipase. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...e-Lipase-issue
    I'm new to LLLI and newly discovered excess lipase as well. Milk bad in 24 hours, have to scald before 12... Still testing. In a way, it places more pressure on me to nurse her rather than express/refrigerate/freeze, it may be better for her health in the long run. (Milk and other unknown allergies still ravaging her gut.)
    What's not clear to me is if even the milk tastes sour quickly, is it in fact rotten faster? Some babies don't mind the taste, I'm reading, so it must be okay. I have a picky baby (foodie takes after her mom).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbarlow View Post
    What's not clear to me is if even the milk tastes sour quickly, is it in fact rotten faster?
    Probably not. Milk spoils when it is colonized by large numbers of bacteria. The lipase enzyme is just taking the fat and breaking it down into smaller components, which could conceivably make it easier for bacteria to thrive in the milk. But bacteria won't get into the milk any faster because of lipase activity.