Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Horrible nipple soreness at 17 months!!

Default Horrible nipple soreness at 17 months!!

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Why is nursing hurting SO MUCH right now? Don't think my guy is doing anything differently. Is this a sign that my period might be coming back? I seem to have a heavy discharge too... perhaps ovulation? How many days would this typically last? So far, three days of OUCH! No visible redness or irritation on the surface of the nipple...

Default Re: Horrible nipple soreness at 17 months!!

Are you pregnant? That's a common cause of sudden soreness. So is thrush- is the discharge perhaps a yeast infection?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Physically impossible that I would be preggers-- unless you believe in immaculate conception.
    I don't get yeast infections often, but usually know it beyond a shadow of a doubt. No itching or anything like that. I feel perfectly healthy too...

I'm wondering about thrush too. But also, I definitely have months when nursing becomes quite painful around the time of ovulation - for whatever reason this phenomenon became a lot more pronounced after my baby turned one (she is now two).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fezlie View Post
    Physically impossible that I would be preggers-- unless you believe in immaculate conception.
    that sounds like me at this point though my libido is starting to creep back in at 19 months pp!
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

I recently had terrible nipple soreness with my 20 month old. It was pretty much on one side. I ignored it and hoped it would go away! Big mistake, I ended up with mastitis. I finally figured out there was a plug as well. I got treatment for the infection and worked out the plug with massage and different nursing positions (the laying baby on the floor and leaning over her seemed to help, but I had to deal with having my toddler looking very confused for a minute.)
    What I never figured out is, what caused the nipple soreness/poor latch, which clearly led to the plug etc? My guess is teething pain made her nurse wonky for a bit. (After I was on the mend she began showing clear sings of teething pain, gnawing on fingers, drooling)
    Basically nipple soreness at this age has the same possible causes as nipple soreness anytime- thrush, off latch, poor positioning, maybe a nipple injury (bruising as well as broken skin) that has not healed?

I am in a very similar boat! I am still nursing my 17 month old and the past two weeks have been nothing but sore nipples whether I am nursing or pumping. I haven't gotten my period back since the baby was born, but for the past two weeks it's been nothing but nipple pain, tenderness along my c - section scar and intermittent cramping and low milk production. Is this my cycle trying to restart itself?

Poor thing! That's no fun at all...
    While I cannot tell you what it is that causes your pain - a wrong latch, thrush, or otherwise - I would like to share with you that for me it was indeed what you mentioned: my first ovulation, followed by my first period.
    On average the first period returns 14.6 months after birth with 'ecological' breastfeeding. What does your cervical mucus look like? Thick sticky and curdy? (possibly thrush?) Or like egg white? (possibly ovulation?)
    My first ovulation was marked by a spectacular amount of egg white jelly like CM which lasted for maybe 5 days. A day or two after the onset of CM the nipple pain started, and stopped just before the arrival of my period, by which time nursing was back to normal again.
    I have had two more ovulations/periods since, and the nipple pain for both was less intense then the previous one. Not sure if this is a trend or a coincidence, but just throwing it out there.

Good luck with the nipple soreness, and if it is indeed your period, with that too ;-) !!

Well, it WAS my period starting up again! I never thought I'd say this, but "YAY!!!" The nipple soreness went away a few days ago and then boom, my old "friend" showed up for a visit. So weird, it's been forever since I bought tampons or pads! And even weirder that I was thrilled! I feel like a "normal" woman again! And, of course, i can start fantasizing about how GREAT it would be to have another baby!! (Why am I so crazy? Hormones!)