Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping Hurts

Default Re: Pumping Hurts

Well I think I have to beg, borrow or steel and scrape together the money to rent a pump.

When the counselor at WIC originally told me that they have loaner hospital grade pumps, she neglected to mention that those are actually only for the Medical emergencies like premie babies that require exclusive pumping and are not the pumps loaned out to normal mom's going back to work.
    The loaner breast pumps for normal babies, Are ONLY for exclusive breast fed babies of mothers that are going back to work or school.

Apparently I don't fit either since low milk supply doesn't qualify as medical necessity in the States guidelines
    And
    Since I work for myself and am having to supplement due to low milk supply, I don't qualify for the other pumps (which are not hospital grade and apparently and in no way hands free, she said you have to control the speed with your thumb while pumping so would NOT be able to do any massage or compressions while pumping unless you just did single pumping and used only one hand for massage/compressions.)

Sigh. At this point I think I really need the good hospital grade rental pump at least for a short time to get the supply up. I really hope it works well for me cause I can't afford to pay and have it turn out to hurt me too.

how best to restore bruised boobies to pain free health?
    I have the Rental pump (Medela Symphony), I currently need to use it at an incredibly low setting because my breasts are already soo tender from the abuse of the other pump before I knew it really shouldn't be hurting.

So what are some strategies to heal while also increasing my supply pumping after each feeding?

Can you describe the pain some more? Is it more of a bruised feeling, more of a sharp, piercing pain, or more of an itching/burning? In general, the best way to heal from breast damage is to continue to remove milk, to get plenty of rest, and to trust your body to do its job.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well the bad pump would cause nipple pain and a deep ache with the pumping action and left my nipples very tender and the nipple/aerola feeling bruised which was making nursing less than comfortable.

After spending some time without using an over powerful pump starting to feel much better. But with the hospital pump I can really only use it at like 3 (which is the suction strength that it automatically starts at in the letdown phase, when it switches automatically to expression I have to turn it back down to 3 or I feel that deep ache again.) Perhaps after some time I'll be able to use it a little stronger but at this point I'm aiming for stimulation and NO pain.

Actually the "letdown" phase of the pump feels like it is providing really good stimulation (like baby) (at least for my left, not as much on the right which is my bigger producer) but I can't really say that well which phase actually extracts milk better. I've never really experienced a really visible "letdown". I can pretty much always express small drops of milk. Even when baby is eating, I can't necessarily tell if there is much change in flow, well except that he really starts pulling off then doing the suck in spit out nipple thing when I'm basically empty late in the day, (I guess that is his way of saying where is the supplement.)

So, no not burning/itching.
    No not like engorgement or plugged ducts.
    More like a bad hicki/bruise (makes me want to use something cooling on them and walk around topless so fabric doesn't press or rub on them)

If you weren't able to get a pump through medicaid yet when I did WIC actually ordered it for me and went through the supplier Edgepark, which is not even in the same state as me. The woman at WIC told me she just had to send them my info. A few days later Edgepark called me to confirm some things and shipped the pump to me. I'd say it was about a 2 week process from ordering to when I received it. You could try to call Edgepark on your own or even call medicaid and ask which suppliers they use and contact one of their suppliers.

unfortunately, Medicaid seems to be different in every state. Fl not so good.
    WIC will let me use a pump now last I heard, but not the hospital grade.
    I went and rented a hospital grade pump for right now since that is what I need to get my supply back up.
    Will get the WIC pump when I return the hospital pump.

I have one fear, what if the WIC Pump hurts? Can anyone comment, will a brand new pump in style be better/adjust down gentle enough? I'm feeling gun shy since the pump that hurt me is an OLD pump in style. The WIC office that is further away actually has a few pump in style that she said she would give me one since I seemed so dedicated but they are single user pumps so it isn't like I can test it out first before I decide. Other option is for one of the Non hands free loaners that take a different kit and I would probably only be able to get for a month at a time before having to return it.

Huh, from your description of the pain it really does sound like a pump issue- either you're extra sensitive to the action of the pump or something isn't the right size... Maybe the shields. I know spending more $ on pumping is the last thing you want to do, but how about trying the Medela Softfit shields? IDK, maybe they would help if your anatomy doesn't work with the standard sizes of shields.

If the new PIS doesn't work for you that's not your fault, and all you can say is that you gave it a try and you're back where you started.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Well now with the hospital pump I'm able to turn the suction way down and pump. I do seem very sensitive to strong suction.
    With the other pump I was trying different size shields. I started out with with the medium valve/flange in one, then had to get the personal fit connector/valve so I could try a larger breastshield and then I even tried the XLarge but that didn't really make it any better and actually seemed to decrease the amount I was able to pump.
    When we bought the kit for the Hospital pump rental it came with medium flanges and I also had some small inserts that fit inside the medium flanges.

What I have been doing lately is using a medium on the Right and the medium with a small insert on the left. It seems to me that having much of the aerola pulled into the tube is more uncomfortable than using a smaller flange.
    But do the Soft Fit shields work with the personal fit connectors?

Maybe call Medela and ask if the parts would work together?

I was starting to freak out a bit (that I dont seem to be able to pump without discomfort) till I realized about a week ago that babes latch and suck have been getting more and more painful.
    Seems that as I reduced supplement he has been sucking harder an compressing my nipples much more. And he seems a bit tongue tied.