Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reglan dosage

Default Reglan dosage

I finally found a doctor (actually, a nurse midwife) who was willing to hear my breastfeeding struggles and offer some support. My milk basically dried up when my lo was tongue tied until 6 weeks old. I have been working my tail off to bring it back since then, but during that time my cycle returned. There is about 2 weeks each month now that I have an extremely low supply. I went in with the idea that I would ask about domperidone. I have always had heart palpitations and have had them checked out. EKG's say I'm fine and they're benign. However, domperidone can interfere with heart rhythm and I have been too nervous to try it without being under the care of a doctor. The midwife agreed that we should avoid the domperidone and suggested Reglan. I wasn't even considering that as an option because of all of the nasty side effects that I have read about here. My LC also isn't a fan of Reglan. In the end though, the midwife convinced me that it was my best option and started me on a low dose. That brings me to my questions for you all:

For anyone who has taken or who knows about Reglan, how much were you prescribed? I am taking 3 10mg tablets a day and have noticed a small increase in supply now after taking it for two days. When can I expect to see a significant increase if I am going to? The midwife gave me enough for two weeks and said I could just stop when they're gone without tapering down. That doesn't seem right to me. Should I worry that my supply will vanish once I stop taking it? I'm still nursing and pumping, not going more than 2-3 hours ever (even over night) without doing one of those. I'm worried that I won't be able to take the Reglan long-term but my supply will be gone when I'm not taking it and Domperidone isn't an option for me. I feel so defeated right now, ugh.

Default Re: Reglan dosage

IIRC- and it's been 8 years so take this with a grain of salt!- I started with 6 tablets per day (2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch, 2 at dinner). I think they might have been 5 mg tablets, though, so the dose would be the same. When I was ready to come off it, I tapered the dose, dropping 1 tablet a day, waiting a couple of days, and then dropping another.

How has baby's weight gain been?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Reglan dosage

Hm, I'm thinking about asking for another 2 week's worth so that I can try to taper off of it. I haven't had any side-effects other that increased milk supply. I started the Reglan 4 days ago and lo has gained 4-5 oz since then, so that's good. Here is his weight timeline since birth:

Born at: 7lbs 6oz (lots of IV fluids)
    Left the hospital at: 7 lbs 2oz
    2 weeks: 7 lbs 4oz
    3 weeks: 7lbs 4oz
    4 weeks: 7lbs 11oz (we started supplementing w/ formula at 3 weeks because he was showing signs of dehydration and not gaining)
    6 weeks: 8lbs 14oz (tongue and lip ties corrected)
    10 weeks: 10lbs 4oz (EBF by 8 weeks)
    12 weeks: 11lbs 9oz (started supplementing at 10.5 weeks from freezer stash 3-5 oz a day due to my period)
    14 weeks: 13lbs 6oz (stopped supplementing around 14 weeks when I started Reglan)

I think his weight gain has been good, but that is due to occasional supplementing. All of these weight checks were done naked on the same scale at the peds office. I also weigh him at home every 1-2 days and it's consistent with these numbers.