Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increased solids and night time weaning

Default Increased solids and night time weaning

My 8.5 month old recently began sleeping through the night (yay!) and she is now taking 3, 3-5 oz servings of solids a day. This combination has decreased my pumping output. Any suggestions on how to increase it so I can keep up with her demand while at daycare?

In addition to the 3 servings of solids, I send 2, 3 oz bottles and 1, 4 oz bottle. She's below the 3rd percentile at 13 lb, 10 oz, so we're trying hard to get her to gain weight. She's healthy and hitting all of her milestones otherwise.

TIA!

Default Re: Increased solids and night time weaning

The most sure-fire way of increasing supply is to nurse (or pump) more frequently. I know it's wonderful to get a full night of sleep, but my personal mantra has always been that nighttime nursing is a working mom's best friend. The pump is usually not as effective at maintaining milk supply, so the combination of relying on the pump during the day, and sleeping all night, does not leave a lot of time for mom to nurse baby and maintain supply. And, if you're worried about baby's weight gain, nighttime nursing is another way to get some more calories into her (although being a small baby in and of itself does not necessarily indicate a problem; some people are big and other people are small).

Also, it does seem like baby is taking in a lot of solids for her age. Before the age of one solids introduction is to introduce baby to new tastes and textures, and allow her to learn the skills needed to self-feed. After the age of one solids gradually become a more important source of nutrition. Breastmilk is the healthiest food for her now, and has the highest calorie content, so you do want to be sure that baby is not filling up on solids at the expense of milk. Usually nursing or giving baby her bottle before solids can help prevent this. Personally I de-emphasized solids when I was home together with baby at this age (ie mornings, evenings, weekends) in favor of nursing. Again this helps stimulate supply because you are letting baby do lots of nursing rather than filling up on solids.

Thank you!! It's hard because I'm able to pump just enough for what she's currently needing. I have more than enough for her to feed at the breast and we de-emphaize solids when we're together as well - she gets maybe 1 or 2 servings. We'll just nurse as much as possible!!!

Pumping just enough is good enough! Is your pump output decreasing though? One thing to consider is basic pump rehab measures, like changing out membranes, possibly valves and flanges. Also a lot of moms do find they go through a "pump slump" at 8 to 9 months. Maybe by moving solids to primarily during the day, you can get by with just a bit less expressed milk. Some moms add in pumping during a commute (if you have one) a relatively time-effective way of getting in some more pumping without eating into other activities.

Yes. I was able to pump just enough in 5 pumping sessions. Now it takes 7.
    I change the membranes regularly, I'll change out the flanges tonight and will get some new valves.
    We're going on vacation on Friday and will have 10 days with DD. I'm happily leaving the pump at home and plan on nursing as much as possible.

Thank you!!!

7 pumping sessions - you are one dedicated mama! What kind of a pump are you using? Some moms find that upgrading to a hospital grade rental makes a difference - something to consider for the next two or three months? A vacation with lots and lots of nursing though is absolutely the best thing for supply! Enjoy it!

I have a Medela Pump In Style. Not a bad idea. I'll look into it when we get back! THANK YOU!!!!!