Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Today I am quitting the pump!

Default Today I am quitting the pump!

After 16 months, I left for work today without my pump and feeling nervous, anxious, weird!! It has become a part of my life for so long and I am honestly scared to see if this will change my supply, or alter my nursing relationship with my son.

I will have to make it through the day without my afternoon "oxytocin break" and once again, start learning how to find stress relief and feel connected with my little guy in other ways when we are away. Feels weird to admit that I had somewhat gotten "addicted" to my pump-- at least psychologically... Let's hope I don't end up running home at lunchtime to get my afternoon pump in. No!! I can DO THIS!!

Default Re: Today I am quitting the pump!

You can, mama, you can!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can do it!! You'll feel so FREE!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It is a little bit of a weird feeling to stop doing something that's been so much a part of your routine - but in the end I think very liberating to be free of the pump! If anything I've enjoyed nursing MORE after finishing with the pump - not having to worry about the number of ounces but simply enjoying the time together with my LO. I know what you mean about the pump being a kind of connection with your baby while you're at work, though. How about taking a little break at your usual pumping time and looking at some pictures of your son?

I really want to stop pumping... My son is 13 months old and i pump currently to supply 4oz of milk for nursery... He is allergic to cows milk so if i don't continue what will he drink whilst there?...

Also what do you do about engorgement during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cosmicbabe View Post
    Also what do you do about engorgement during the day?
    If you pump wean gradually there shouldn't be a lot of engorgement. Of course every mother is different and some can quit the pump more easily than others - I'm in the category that did not pump wean easily, but eventually I got there!