Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Pump Weaning Question

Default Another Pump Weaning Question

I have started pump weaning and I am not sure what is going on with my supply (I know it is dropping but beyond that) Instead of pumping on a schedule I am only pumping when I feel full. I have dropped my morning pump session which was only yielding about 1/2 oz since I nursed first. That is around 6:30 am and I do not usually pump again until about 12:30. This session has been getting later and later the past few months. Sometimes I pump again right before I leave the office and I pump again when I get home but we just dropped to one bottle at day care so I assume that will become a longer nursing session instead.
    For some reason between 4pm and 9 pm I always feel full and uncomfortable. I am fine with this schedule, especially if I can eliminate the second pump at work but I am concerned that I have essentially stopped feeling full in the morning but continue to always feel full in the afternoon. Is this normal and is this going to get me pump weaned this century or am I doing it all wrong?
    TIA!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: Another Pump Weaning Question

Maybe it's just taking until late in the day for your breasts to feel the effects of the decreased pumping? Do you feel full BEFORE baby nurses in the morning? I'm thinking that maybe she does a good job with nursing in the morning so you are well drained, but then as you go most of the day without pumping the milk is building up so you're feeling full in the afternoon/evening. Also how is Ellie nursing when you reunite? For me, I feel full in the morning before LO nurses, she does a good job draining me with her morning nursing, then I do feel full (though usually not uncomfortably so) by the time I get home from work, then LO nurses a few times in the evening, so by the time she goes to bed I'm comfortable again.

I feel full in the morning when I wake up and then all afternoon starting around 4 or 4:30 until she nurses for bedtime. You are completely done pumping, correct? I want to make sure there is a chance I will still feel fullish in the AM and for bed time nursing. During the day on the weekends she snack nurses but not too much lately. It is really a 3x a day thing for her. Early AM, early evening and bedtime. Other than that she is way too busy for mama

Yes, I'm done pumping. It sounds like you are on track - I think the "uncomfortably full" feeling will subside with time as your supply regulates to match her demand. It sounds like both pumping and nursing right now are concentrated in the evenings if you are pumping (sometimes) right before you leave work, at home, and nursing a couple times at home as well. So that may be why you feel a lot more full at that time? It's a process but I'm pretty sure you'll be done before the end of the century...

Thanks! I am hoping to be off the pump by Memorial Day. I have a manual pump and if I could get to the point where I could use that on days when I have to work late I would be thrilled. Ellie does not seem to care about a bottle at day care and I want to drop the bottle before she is old enough to ask for it

How long have you been working on pump weaning? It's been just a few weeks right? I used to have to pump when I worked late but eventually I got to the point where even that wasn't necessary. Now if I am working late I just wait until I get home, if LO is already asleep I go ahead and nurse her and then put her back to bed. So I only pump when traveling. You'll get there!

I am sorry I never saw this reply. I started officially thinking of it as pump weaning on March 25 when we got the go-ahead from the allergist for Ellie to have dairy. I still have not given her a bottle of cows milk but she has had cheese, yogurt and things with dairy ingredients.
    I am so excited to be rid of this thing!! I keep telling myself one more month and keep hoping my body will be ready then

That's what I thought, a few weeks (I guess a month now!). I think you're making good progress, especially if you are still giving yourself another month.

Thanks! I am trying to take it slow and not be too impatient

I know... once the end is in sight it's hard not to want to throw the darn pump out the window!