Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confusing 3 day old!

Default Confusing 3 day old!

I thought we had this down at the hospital, so of course had no questions for the LC or nurses until we got home. I hope you ladies can help! My son often has one "big" feeding (15-25 mins) and the next is more of a snack (5-10, or clusters for two hours). Sometimes it'll be after three hours since the last feeding, and he has no interest to eat. On top of that, nipple pain (not every time, but enough) plus the lack of either BM or wet diapers are leading me to believe he isn't getting enough. He had a decent brown, liquidy stool this morning (day 3) and two urine, but no more today. Tons of gas though. Since he's been pretty content, sleeping great, not showing many signs of unhappiness, I didn't really put pieces together until tonight as I reflected on the last two days. Now I'm worried... Thanks for any advice you have!

Default Re: Confusing 3 day old!

Welcome to the forum!

Has your milk come in yet? (That is, has it increased markedly in quantity and changed from clear yellowish colostrum to creamy yellow-white transitional milk?) And has your baby been consistently passing his meconium? If you're seeing brown, liquidy stool them my guess is that your milk is coming in and your baby is changing over from meconium poops (black, sticky, tar-like) to breastfed baby stools (very loose, generally yellow but varying widely in color).

This link discusses what you're looking for with diaper output in a young baby: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...s/enough-milk/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Yes, his stool is getting more liquidy. I'm definitely feeling my milk come in! I know my body responds to what he tells it to do, but I'm still worried about him wanting to skip a a feed or just "snack" and getting too engorged.

As long as his pee/poop output stay on track, there's no reason to worry excessively about erratic feedings, "snacking"' or engorgement.

Erratic feedings- i.e. sometimes going 5 minutes between nursing sessions and sometimes more like 3-4 hours- are normal for newborns. Instead of obsessing over the intervals between feedings, think more about the number of times the baby feeds overall. You want a newborn to nurse around 10-12 times a day. As long as your baby is doing that, there's no need for concern over the occasional long stretch of sleep- though if you feel yourself getting uncomfortable or the baby has been sleeping more than 3 hours, it doesn't hurt to try to wake the baby up and get him to nurse.

"Snacking", a.k.a. small and frequent meals, is a normal and healthy eating pattern for babies, young children, and even many adults. Don't discourage it, or fall into the trap of thinking that you should train your baby to take "meals" instead of snacks- that's not healthy for him or for your milk supply.

Engorgement should be a temporary problem. The best thing to do is to nurse the baby as much as possible, since the baby's feeding will train your body to produce only about as much milk as the baby needs. If the baby consistently leaves a lot of milk in the breast, your supply will reduce to a more reasonable level. If the baby needs more, he'll increase his feeding frequency and boost your supply.

If engorgement is making it difficult for your baby to latch on, the following links may be useful:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...oft_cotterman/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like you're doing a great job! I have been there! We had no issues until we got home! In the first week of Seb's life I had to wake him A LOT, he was jaundice (we find out at his two day appointment, in the hospital he was fine) and didn't ever really want to wake on his own! This paid off because we haven't had any super huge engorgement or milk supply issues, so never mind the well-wishers (of which I had tons rolling through my house) that say "never wake a sleeping baby." I'm sure there is a time and place for that method but the first month or so isn't one of them as you are really trying to build your breastfeeding relationship and milk supply! Usually I could get him awake just by undressing him, my last resort was to wipe him down with a wet wash cloth, if he needed a diaper change that usually got him awake too! He would get a good feeding in and then fall back asleep while nursing. This is what worked for us! The hospital will make you really paranoid about wet and dirty diapers and timing feedings and blahblahblah. My life (and my husband's) got instantly more calm when I stopped charting it and just did what my body and my baby were telling me to do! As far as sore nipples-I have learned this is pretty much par for the course, especially in those first few days. My guy would suckle SO HARD it hurt very badly. It turned out that my little one had a tongue tie, has your baby been checked yet? If your nipples continue to stay sore I would definitely try to get an outpatient visit with a lactation consultant and have her check out his tongue! If they start bleeding-coconut oil is what worked best for us! I eventually ordered the Honest Company nipple balm and loved that too...its basically just coconut oil and aloe and all safe for your baby. Lanolin DESTROYED my nipples. I know this can be different from person to person but those are the things that worked best for us!
    Mama to Sebastian Born 2/13/14

Those responses are so helpful in reassuring me The pediatrician this morning just kept reiterating how he MUST eat at least every three hours, and I understand that it's important, but I can't pour milk down his throat if he doesn't want it! Thinking of 10-12 through the day is very helpful, and we definitely reach that.

You got this mama!
    Mama to Sebastian Born 2/13/14