Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumpin for the first time due to illness

Default Pumpin for the first time due to illness

Hi all,
    I was taken to the ER this morning for kidney stones, where they gave me morphine and then another anti-inflammatory to take at home in the next few days till the stones pass. I breastfeed my 21 month old in the morning and before bedtime, so in order not to lose my milk I rented an electric (medela) breast pump this afternoon. I just pumped (for the first time) and I didn't even get to 2 oz. Is that normal for the age of my baby? Or did I not do it long enough? (15 minutes per boob). Is this how much she gets from me too? I have no idea about ounces because I am a SAHM and have never pumped before. I really do NOT want to lose my supply!
    Thanks,
    Ann
    Last edited by @llli*mammadiliv; April 15th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Default Re: Pumpin for the first time due to illness

Sorry about the kidney stone!

First thought: find out how long you need to wait before you nurse again by calling InfantRisk - they are open until 5 pm central today. The number is 806-352-2519. Website: www.InfantRisk.com You may able to nurse a lot sooner than whatever they told you in the ER.

As for pumping, I would not worry about your output. First of all, you've never pumped before, and pumping is something that takes getting used to. It's very likely your toddler gets more from the breast than you get from the pump. And since you are dealing with a 21 month old toddler whom you are nursing twice a day, you may not be making lots and lots of milk - but of course it is still beneficial for both of you that you are still nursing. Milk changes as LO gets older, there may be less volume but the milk that is there is specially tailored for a toddler.

Hope you get back to nursing soon!

Thanks. I actually live in Italy so I don't think I can call (a 806 number is like an 800 number right?). I called my very pro-bf pediatrician when I got home and she said I could bf 24 hours after taking the last dose of the "bad" medicine, which is the one for pain. Hopefully I won't have too much pain and will be able to bf again asap. My poor little girl broke my heart tonight asking for milkies when I put her to bed

806 is the local area code. I'd be happy to call for you tomorrow if you PM me the names of the medications you are taking.

Thank you very much for your offer. Today went well and I took my last pain meds at 7am, so I'll be able to nurse her tomorrow morning if the night goes well too. But thanks!

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Argh, this pump and dump myth lives on....I have the InfantRisk app on my phone. It actually says that morphine has poor oral bioavailability, that is, not much is really absorbed through the mouth. Probably safer than Percocet, which tons of c-section moms take while breastfeeding newborns, not toddlers! Both are yellow or "probably safe." What was the med you were sent home on? Really any opiate is going to fall in the same overall risk category.