Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5mo will only nurse before sleeping

Default Re: 5mo will only nurse before sleeping

You heard right. I work full-time so it's much harder to work at this now. So you're suggesting I try to get him up in the middle of the night to nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    So what jumps out at me is that your baby is essentially fully fed with bottles, is getting rather large feeds, and also sleeping a tremendous stretch at night.

I think in many cases, a sleepy baby is more willing to try to nurse. So if I were in your shoes, I would start by encouraging some nighttime breastfeeding, just to get baby back to and comfortable with the breast.

The next thing I would try is decreasing the amount of milk in those bottles, and then "finishing" baby at the breast. It sounds like perhaps baby has just gotten used to the quicker, easier flow of the bottle, and needs a little help relearning how to nurse to get his meals. You are right that you are trapped in a cycle right now--if baby is getting fully fed by the bottle, there is no reason to work at nursing! So I would try to gradually shift that by taking the edge off with a much smaller bottle, then encouraging baby to finish up at the breast.

I think I've read just about everything on Kellymom. It's difficult because my husband takes care of him while I work and he thinks he knows it all! GOD BLESS HIM!

I know...I feel your pain. It's hard for me to get him to nurse when it's not before sleeping. He just pulls away and screams...whether after a full bottle, no bottles, or anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xiaoshira View Post
    Yeah - have you tried latching AFTER a 4-5 oz bottle? Honestly sometimes I just give it up and pump. I'm actively trying to get my supply up so that I can improve the nursing, but it's really depressing to have her suck for a few seconds, see nothing's coming out (or not fast enough) and then just SCREAM in my face!

Not sure I'd wake the baby... (trying not to be jealous at a baby that sleeps that long!) I could be wrong tho; I haven't gone through this.

Did you manage to check out paced feeding (if your husband is willing to potentially change the way he bottle feeds)?

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/ - yes it's kellymom so you've probably already read it!

The other thing I thought was I appreciate you work full time but is it possible to 'work' on your breastfeeding on your days off or in the evening before that night time stretch and/or first thing in the morning?

Am just kinda thinking out loud at you in case it helps!