Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone nurse just once per day?

Default Anyone nurse just once per day?

I've pretty much weaned LO to formula due to lack of weight gain except I'm still nursing her once at night when she gets up. I'd like to continue this for a while so she continues to get benefits of bm and was wondering if anyone else does this??? Wondering if ill just stop producing since I'm not nursing as much anymore...

Default Re: Anyone nurse just once per day?

The best way to maintain milk supply is to nurse often. Do you want to go into more details about the switch to formula? How old is baby, what were the weights before switching to formula, were there any nursing problems (latch etc), baby born premature etc? I'm wondering whether it might be possible for you to nurse more than once a day to increase the chances of maintaining supply.

Hi! First off I want to say how great it is that your baby is nursing at night. You are right, any amount of nursing is so good for your baby.

LOTS of mothers "combo feed." meaning, combining formula feeding and breastfeeding. I hope you find someone here who can give you a first hand account, but to be honest I am sorry to say I think such mothers generally tend to avoid LLL thinking we are going to come down on them for not exclusively nursing or not being in the process of trying to get to the point where they can exclusively nurse. This is unfortunate because actually we are here to provide info and support for any mother interested in any aspect of breastfeeding, even if she is not currently breastfeeding at all!

As you suspect, and as bfwmomof3 points out, it is difficult to maintain milk production long term if you are not nursing with something close to 'normal' frequency, (which would mean, all meals at the breast and usually, comfort nursing as well) or by pumping when baby is not nursing in order to keep production normal. As bfwmomof3 suggests, the more often baby nurses (or mom pumps) the more likely milk production will stay adequate to the task.

But it is also true that no one knows (well, maybe someone does but I certainly do not know) how long a mother is likely to make enough milk for one session a day if baby continues to nurse one session per day. As far as I am aware, this (combo feeding and duration of milk production) has never been studied with that kind of specificity. And results would differ quite a bit, mom to mom and baby to baby, and not only due to lessening milk production. Besides the milk production issue, a baby may happily comfort nurse for a time even if there is not much (or any) milk. And this is perfectly fine assuming baby is gaining normally. It is also true that a baby who is mostly fed via bottles may lose interest in nursing entirely even if there is enough milk. Again, this is going to be very individual.

Any amount of time baby spends nursing and/or getting your milk is beneficial. So if one session a day is what you can do, for however long that lasts, that is great. But if you would like ideas for increasing your milk production and/or time at the breast, in the hopes of increasing the duration your child nurses, even if you also continue to need to supplement, please let us know. The questions bfwmomof3 asks and any other history you wish to share will help us with our suggestions. I would also suggest that If baby WILL nurse more often, and nursing is comfortable for you, there is never any harm in allowing baby to nurse as often as you and baby likes while also supplementing as needed.

with the PPs.

Have you tried nursing and then supplementing right afterwards? For many moms, this style of combination feeding means a longer duration of breastfeeding than nursing just once per day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies-this is my third and I nursed my first two with no problems. Leila unfortunately is a completely different case-she spent her whole first month in the hospital bc she was born having seizures and ended up having a benign brain tumor removed that was causing this. Throughout I nursed and pumped, and despite dealing with constant clogged ducts while she was hospitalized i kept at it. when we finally got home I was only nursing and I thought it would be smooth sailing. She was born 6.7 and at 2 months went up to 10 lbs. unfortunately between 2-4 months she only gained 14 oz. i was so shocked at this and my doctor recommended supplementation. With two other kids at home I just don't have the time to do this so I opted to wean to formula and try to at least nurse once a day so she can continue to get the benefits of breast milk. Sorry this was such a long story but I don't want anyone to think that I didn't try hard to nurse but it just got too stressful. Maybe that messed with my supply and caused her to not get enough...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*roxyvelas View Post
    Thanks ladies-this is my third and I nursed my first two with no problems. Leila unfortunately is a completely different case-she spent her whole first month in the hospital bc she was born having seizures and ended up having a benign brain tumor removed that was causing this. Throughout I nursed and pumped, and despite dealing with constant clogged ducts while she was hospitalized i kept at it. when we finally got home I was only nursing and I thought it would be smooth sailing. She was born 6.7 and at 2 months went up to 10 lbs. unfortunately between 2-4 months she only gained 14 oz. i was so shocked at this and my doctor recommended supplementation. With two other kids at home I just don't have the time to do this so I opted to wean to formula and try to at least nurse once a day so she can continue to get the benefits of breast milk. Sorry this was such a long story but I don't want anyone to think that I didn't try hard to nurse but it just got too stressful. Maybe that messed with my supply and caused her to not get enough...
    Please don't blame yourself. We Moms are so tough on ourselves, myself included. Breastfeeding is not easy like I expected it to be and it's so hard on us mothers when things aren't going as they should. Hang in there and do whatever you feel is right for your baby.

Don't be sorry for giving us the whole story! I think it's really instructive to have it in full, both for those of us who are "here" right now and also for all those moms who come after, trying to figure out their own particular puzzles. Considering the stress you have been under, I can completely understand your decision to switch primarily to formula. If you change your mind at any time in the future, let us know! You can go back to more nursing, if you want to. Which I'm putting out there for informational purposes, not to put pressure on you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the support! I appreciate it!

Sorry to hear your LO had such a rough start... I hope things are going better now. I guess I am still wondering, though, since baby is still latching (which is great!), and you do want to maintain a nursing relationship, would it be an option to nurse her a bit more, even if primarily formula feeding? For example, at times when it's convenient to have the nursing tool in your toolbox - putting baby down for naps, or when the evening fussies hit? I agree with LLLMeg, it's going to be hard to predict in your particular case whether you are going to be able to maintain your milk supply nursing once/day (and as she also points out, baby may want to continue nursing whether there is a little or a lot of milk there), but your chances of maintaining the nursing relationship will increase if you nurse more frequently, and if you aren't doing the whole pumping and feeding routine, or worrying about supply, a little more nursing might not be too much of a burden, and could be helpful at times when baby is in need of soothing. Just a thought... If you do decide to continue with just once a day, of course, that is still great for you and baby.